Make do Quilters for masks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Make do Quilters for masks

I love what Jenny said about making do. There is no elastic anywhere to be bought to make masks. I tried bias tape, a good bit of work, and then it dawned on me … SHOELACES, lol. If I can get this darn new forum to upload my picture. It's not perfect but it is finished
    Attached Files

I'm not sure where you are located, but if you have a Dollar Tree, they sell elastic headbands, that when cut in half, are the correct length for the masks. You get 7 headbands per pack and they are all different colors.

(not my picture, but someone posted the idea on Facebook)
    Attached Files
    K is for Karen 😊​..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

wonderful ideas thanks for sharing

Comment

Some people are using ribbon as well.

Jeannette

Comment

Originally posted by minipinlady View Post
          I love what Jenny said about making do. There is no elastic anywhere to be bought to make masks. I tried bias tape, a good bit of work, and then it dawned on me … SHOELACES, lol. If I can get this darn new forum to upload my picture. It's not perfect but it is finished
          Never thought of shoelaces. I have a ton of them, too. Bought them years ago and don't know why I've hung on to them. Thank you for the post!
          “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
          “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Comment

• auntstuff
            auntstuff commented
            Editing a comment
            It seems all things become useful again if you keep them long enough....

None to be found here either. I bought some elastic packs at Walmart but too wide, so I sliced them lengthwise to 1/8". I'm a big recycler, and I was thinking of slicing thin bands of my Thera Bands. I have many sizes but not currently in use. These can be found medical or sports stores, while still open. Look to your closets for elastic in clothing that is not being worn.

I used the double twist tie from my coffee bags to insert for bridge of nose. These work. Unfortunately I made a few test models yesterday, and not pleased with the fit. DH has big head and one wwas perfect, but he said it's too hot to keep on face. Back to the drawing board.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

• Claire Hallman
            Claire Hallman commented
            Editing a comment
            I have some 1/2" elastic, I didn't know that it could be split lengthwise and not unravel. I will give it a try

Someone suggested inserting pipe cleaners for a good nose fit. Not sure how well they would hold up with multiple washings.

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
            SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
            Editing a comment
            I may have posted that I saw this used in a YouTube video. Good to know it would rust.

• JulieC
            JulieC commented
            Editing a comment
            I would think any wire would rust with washing? Unless it's coated somehow?

• auntstuff
            auntstuff commented
            Editing a comment
            Unfold a paper clip at the middle fold.

I made these yesterday [using shoe laces and other random ties] for my DDIL after she sent me a scary picture of herself in a bandanna. I will make more today using jelly roll strips as ties.IMG_1212.JPG

Comment

Clever idea, Claire. I made a couple for DD and SIL (they work RTA in Dayton OH) I also used some pipe cleaners in the tops so they could mold them to their noses easier.
            No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
            Aesop

Comment

I just checked my supplies. I used to have several pkgs. of bias tape, but it looks like I donated all those. I do have a couple pkgs. of narrow elastic. And of course, one can always sew fabric ties. I was thinking I could use up some of the FQ fabrics in my stash that I don't particularly like. But...I don't have any immed. plans to start sewing masks. I'm trying to finish the FMQ on a baby quilt.

Comment

As luck would have it, I had recently ordered a 144 yd roll of elastic form ebay. I have plenty to make many masks. I had a partial roll left that I sent to a friend that could not find any either. I am making a few with ties if that is what is requested...using binding strips for that.
                Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                sigpic

Comment

The flexible thing that secures a bag of donuts is perfect for the nose piece. It’s coated metal and one will do two masks. That’s a lot of donuts to eat, but maybe someone saves them. I will save them from now on. This was Jeff’s idea.
                  sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                    SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I had saved the ties on coffee bean bags. This makes one.

As of yesterday I found a few shops on Etsy selling elastic.
                  Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Comment

60686316152__E96F4EAD-8A0C-46EC-BE40-A2552A9696E0.JPGI got a message from Bubby and can't figure out how to reply so will reply here and hope she sees it.
                    I made my ties either the wof or 36" depending on my fabric. I think 36" is enough but had some random strips that I used up. I revised my pattern yesterday a bit and made double fold 2" wide strips with a folding tool from clover and used them as ties and the side binding in one strip for each side. I also made a pocket, added some lengths of copper wire [we had on hand and it won't rust] and made the front and back from different fabrics so one could tell the front from the back.
                    I sewed my two 7 1/2" squares along one edge leaving an opening then sewed the opposite edge and turned right side out. I rolled the tube so the opening was about 1/2" down from the top edge towards the back, marked and sewed the pleats and using a zipper foot I sewed a channel at the top edge enclosing a wire. I hope this explains what I did.
                    I finished 16 yesterday with 26 to finish up today. I will check with my DIL to see if more are needed and go from there.

Comment

Working...
                    X