What can I repurpose for a sewing box??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What can I repurpose for a sewing box??

Okay all you clever ladies and guys. I do a lot if hand quilting and I cannot find a decent sewing box to save my life! The ones at Joann's are so over priced and kind of junky. I have looked at thrift shops, estate sales, etc and looked at plastic boxes w/ compartments at hobby stores. For the last year have been using a large open wicker basket (not the greatest thing either) but now that I am babysitting GKs while school is out I would like something with a lid or tight fitting cover to keep those curious busy little hands out.

How about a fishing tackle box?
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

I have several tool box organizers. I got mine from Ace Hardware store but they're available in lots of stores. I like them because they're cheap and they have removable dividers so you can customize the spaces to suit your sewing notions.

https://www.farmandfleet.com/product...caAk0cEALw_wcB

Comment

I have two but they were pricey. One is longaberger and the other is Reisenthel. I love the quality of both.

Comment

Could you use a make up “tackle box”.?
          "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
          Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

I have a smaller version of this one. It's on sale too!
            https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R6C1RQK...dDbGljaz10cnVl
            It's stacked so you can just take what compartments you need.

I use this one. I have different projects in four of them right now.
            https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
            Last edited by Hulamoon; March 17th, 2020, 09:16 PM.
            "People were created to be loved. Things were created to be used. The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved and people are being used"― Dalai Lama XIV

Comment

just found this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Artemio-6-C...%2C238&sr=8-30 could varnish, decorate, glue fabric or paper on.
              edit might be too small
              Last edited by 201 Treadler; March 17th, 2020, 09:40 PM.

Comment

You know what would be fun, one of those vintagy cosmetic travel cases that ladies always packed. I looked on Ebay and they had some nice ones.
                "People were created to be loved. Things were created to be used. The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved and people are being used"― Dalai Lama XIV

Comment

• Grey Lady
                  Grey Lady commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oh, my. It seems I'm vintage. I had a 1970s Samsonite train case. You just made my day. I think I'm going to order one.

• jjkaiser
                  jjkaiser commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I had the perfect one and could kick myself for giving it to my niece years ago. It was very well made. A train case and I remember the tag in it said Amelia Earhart like it was a brand or something.

image_116832.jpg This came to mind. LOL 5E0F5A76-2996-42B3-9EF9-6D05C1E56CBB.jpeg

Comment

• lourixe
                  lourixe commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This is exactly the kind of sewing boxes my family has always used! Hahaha. I have just inherited 2 of them from my aunt, full of embroidery floss.

• geegeequilts
                  geegeequilts commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'd forget about making a sewing box cos' I'd be eating those yummy cookies, LOL! Gina

I use a wooden toolbox from Harbor Freight.Got it when they have their big sales. Love the look and sturdiness.

Comment

This is pretty Grey Lady
                  https://www.amazon.com/Coofit-Beauty...FED001C038A592

Comment

The" Everything Mary "Craft totes are very nice. I have one. They have lots of pockets and are well made. You can find them at Walmart , Amazon and several other places.

Comment

I might look for a nice big travel cosmetic case, maybe something similar to a Vera Bradley.
                      Last edited by chelea; March 18th, 2020, 08:50 PM.
                      Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Comment

I was in a dollar general yesterday and they had all sizes of hinged lidded boxes that were pretty. They were cardboard but pretty heavy. Priced from $2 for the small 4x10x4 up to $10 for the 20x20x10. I almost bought one because they were pretty and talked myself out of spending money. I came home and you know, I have a whole bunch of these kinds of boxes but I found a wonderful wooden tea box that I have been using as a decorator piece and will turn it into my trravel sewing box. Thanks for making me look
                        Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                        Terry

Comment

Working...
                        X