What can I repurpose for a sewing box??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What can I repurpose for a sewing box??

Okay all you clever ladies and guys. I do a lot if hand quilting and I cannot find a decent sewing box to save my life! The ones at Joann's are so over priced and kind of junky. I have looked at thrift shops, estate sales, etc and looked at plastic boxes w/ compartments at hobby stores. For the last year have been using a large open wicker basket (not the greatest thing either) but now that I am babysitting GKs while school is out I would like something with a lid or tight fitting cover to keep those curious busy little hands out.

How about a fishing tackle box?
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

I have several tool box organizers. I got mine from Ace Hardware store but they're available in lots of stores. I like them because they're cheap and they have removable dividers so you can customize the spaces to suit your sewing notions.

https://www.farmandfleet.com/product...caAk0cEALw_wcB

Comment

I have two but they were pricey. One is longaberger and the other is Reisenthel. I love the quality of both.

Comment

Could you use a make up “tackle box”.?
          "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
          Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

I have a smaller version of this one. It's on sale too!
            https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R6C1RQK...dDbGljaz10cnVl
            It's stacked so you can just take what compartments you need.

I use this one. I have different projects in four of them right now.
            https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
            Last edited by Hulamoon; March 17th, 2020, 09:16 PM.
            Lorie

Comment

just found this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Artemio-6-C...%2C238&sr=8-30 could varnish, decorate, glue fabric or paper on.
              edit might be too small
              Last edited by 201 Treadler; March 17th, 2020, 09:40 PM.

Comment

You know what would be fun, one of those vintagy cosmetic travel cases that ladies always packed. I looked on Ebay and they had some nice ones.
                Lorie

Comment

• Grey Lady
                  Grey Lady commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oh, my. It seems I'm vintage. I had a 1970s Samsonite train case. You just made my day. I think I'm going to order one.

• jjkaiser
                  jjkaiser commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I had the perfect one and could kick myself for giving it to my niece years ago. It was very well made. A train case and I remember the tag in it said Amelia Earhart like it was a brand or something.

image_116832.jpg This came to mind. LOL 5E0F5A76-2996-42B3-9EF9-6D05C1E56CBB.jpeg

Comment

• lourixe
                  lourixe commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This is exactly the kind of sewing boxes my family has always used! Hahaha. I have just inherited 2 of them from my aunt, full of embroidery floss.

• geegeequilts
                  geegeequilts commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'd forget about making a sewing box cos' I'd be eating those yummy cookies, LOL! Gina

I use a wooden toolbox from Harbor Freight.Got it when they have their big sales. Love the look and sturdiness.

Comment

This is pretty Grey Lady
                  https://www.amazon.com/Coofit-Beauty...FED001C038A592

Lorie

Comment

The" Everything Mary "Craft totes are very nice. I have one. They have lots of pockets and are well made. You can find them at Walmart , Amazon and several other places.

Comment

I might look for a nice big travel cosmetic case, maybe something similar to a Vera Bradley.
                      Last edited by chelea; March 18th, 2020, 08:50 PM.
                      Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Comment

I was in a dollar general yesterday and they had all sizes of hinged lidded boxes that were pretty. They were cardboard but pretty heavy. Priced from $2 for the small 4x10x4 up to $10 for the 20x20x10. I almost bought one because they were pretty and talked myself out of spending money. I came home and you know, I have a whole bunch of these kinds of boxes but I found a wonderful wooden tea box that I have been using as a decorator piece and will turn it into my trravel sewing box. Thanks for making me look

Comment

Working...
                        X