Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY rice-filled heating pad

Hi, quilty friends!
    Have any of you made those rice-filled heating pads that go in the microwave?
    I keep reading that you can add essential oils to the rice prior to filling - do you do this?
    My biggest question is how much oil do you add? I've never used the oils, but want to get this right.
    Thanks! - and BTW, I'm so grateful for my quilty friends, who are experts on SOOO many topics!
    Love, hugs, & blessings,
    ~ Sally \0/

My experience with rice is that if it get the least bit wet it will mold. It also gets bugs. I keep my rice in the fridge. I'm sure the micro would kill them off though. lol I bought some commercial mitts on Amazon and they are filled with flax seed.

This is a great article on 'fillings'. She did an experiment on several.

https://alittlecrispy.com/2016/12/hot-pack-fillings/
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

• KPH
      KPH commented
      Editing a comment
      That was a neat article.

I don't use any oil of any kind in mine.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Originally posted by Monique View Post
      I don't use any oil of any kind in mine.
      What kind of rice do you use, Monique? Does the rice give off any kind of smell?

Comment

I think Jasmine is the only one that has a scent.
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

A few years ago, a co-worker made a bunch of these. She took a big plastic tote with a cover, dumped in probably 25 pounds of rice, then added a few drops of essential oil (she used lavender oil). Stirred it, put the cover on, and checked back the next day. She just kept adding the essential oil a few drops at a time until she was happy with the amount of scent. I suspect that the scent gets stronger when heated, so you don't want to overdo it.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyO'Sews View Post

What kind of rice do you use, Monique? Does the rice give off any kind of smell?
            I used long grain rice and I don't find it smells. I had one many years ago that was filled with buckwheat.
            Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Have no idea how this got here....posted elsewhere....
              Last edited by Star lover; March 18, 2020, 04:40 AM.
              💫 Star lover

Comment

Great article. I did notice that it said they could be washed and dried. Does that mean with the rice in them?? Seems that getting the rice that wet would make it very sticky. Maybe I'm missing something here!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Carol336 View Post
                  Great article. I did notice that it said they could be washed and dried. Does that mean with the rice in them?? Seems that getting the rice that wet would make it very sticky. Maybe I'm missing something here!!!!
                  "Can be washed and dried and won’t mold or degrade: Cherry pits, clay beads, walnut shells. All other fillings will need a removable cover if you’d like to be able to wash your hot pack. All food-based fillings will degrade over time and need replacing. The sturdier ones like whole corn will last longer than things like rice or grains."
                  🌺 Lorie

Comment

I'm going to add a filling...plastic pellets used for bean bags, weighted blankets

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=plastic+p...f=nb_sb_noss_1
                    🌺 Lorie

Comment

I have an old one with rice. love it. keep meaning to make a cover but never do. no scent. i don't want to smell like what ever scent things come with. First one i got had scent and i took it back.

Comment

I purchased one many years ago and it was filled with rice and lavender buds. We had that one for years but after a few months the scent was gone. Now I make them with regular rice, no scent. They last forever.
                        Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Comment

Originally posted by Star lover View Post
                          Have no idea how this got here....posted elsewhere....
                          Sorry, I thought I had posted, but then couldn't find it, so I reposted here. Please, dear admins, remove the other one!

Comment

I make mine with feed corn, and a removable cover, so it can be laundered. The corn smells great as it is heating. I personally think that rice stinks when it is heated.
                            Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X