Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quilt Show Cancelled.....due to COVID-19 controversy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilt Show Cancelled.....due to COVID-19 controversy.

I am somewhat disappointed....but, the premise remains on whether to postpone the quilt show for this bi-annual show or just plain cancel and wait 2 more years down the road....
    So much work and planning had gone into the show, and now......it is blowing my mind that the guild I belong to has made this decision. Granted, I do care about the safety and risk. But, I do feel it has been blown out of control. At least I have the quilt challenge done.....2020 Vision Symmetry. I chose MSQC Pinwheel Dance (not pillow, but mini wall hanging).
    Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

I have no doubt it is disappointing. The Lancaster, PA show has been cancelled as well and that is a huge one.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

• Nesie
      Nesie commented
      Editing a comment
      So disappointed about the Lancaster Show!

It's a shame they're cancelling. I do hope they will postpone, like you said, a lot of work goes into planning these events. It would be a shame for all of that work to go down the drain. I'm sure they're considering the age and susceptibility of the participants in the decision.

Katrina

โ€œNothing can dim the light which shines from within.โ€
    โ€• Maya Angelou

Comment

Am sorry your feeling this way but the symptoms of covid -19 do not show straight away,
      from the first contact with covid - 19 to the symptoms showing people can be infectious to others the exact moment is still to be determined (according to a person speaking on the BBC) due to this virus being so new.
      Am sure many will appreciate not being ill.
      Lots of money will be changing hands at a show, am not sure can bleach money!! and lawfully get away with it,๐Ÿ˜
      Thinking about it most show quilts do not get washed, just think someone coughs and the germ is in the fibres.๐Ÿ˜ฒ
      With that thought perhaps its the right route, be a shame for all that work to be ruined by having to wash at high temperatures to get possible germs out.
      That is a lovely mini quilt.
      Have a great Saturday, stay safe, look forward to your next quilt.
      T

Comment

Cancelled all the shows up my way.

Comment

There are so many postponements and cancellations around my area too. And that is a good thing and not overblown. The purpose in discouraging - or as in Ohio - outlawing gatherings more than 100 people, for example, is to slow the spread of the infection. It is already everrywhere, even if you think the number of cases in your state is low. The reason we don't have higher number of cases is that the federal government has bungled and failed at testing in this country, and actively prevented others from stepping in until this week when the public outcry couldn't be ignored or placated any longer. I am proud our governor in Ohio has taken a leadership role and spoken forcefully about how we can avoid a situation like the Chinese faced, the Italians are facing, and soon, the Spanish. I don't want to face a nation that has no more ventilators available, or ECMO machines either, to save the lives of the sickest. And I don't want to see bulging hospitals turn away sick people to die (Italy right now). The purpose of curtailing venues where spread can occur is to slow the rate of infection. It's not to spread panic. Sound public health measures are NOT panic. They are common sense and for the good of all people.

Comment

• Momofmonsters5
            Momofmonsters5 commented
            Editing a comment
            The Spanish? It's not even in Mexico nor affecting that area? I live in border town.

Dallas quilt show was setting up Thursday. They called the event at 11:59 pm. It was the mayor of Dallas, not the quilt guild. My LAQS was a silver sponsor, so I swung by their shop to show support money wise as I could not spend it at the show. They were pretty peeved that the mayor waited until after it was set up. All the quilts were hung. All the vendors were set up, all the brochures printed to never be viewed upon. Tis sad. I always thought we have amendment rights, the right to assemble?
          Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

If this thread turns any more political, it will be shut down.
            K is for Karen ๐Ÿ˜Šโ€‹..................
            Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
            T - is it TRUE?
            H - is it HELPFUL?
            I - is it INSPIRING?
            N - is it NECESSARY?
            K - is it KIND?

Comment

Our guild hosts a bi-annual show and its on Mother's Day weekend this year. I have volunteered to help set up and man the members' market. Since its held in a municipal building, we will have to wait and see as these are closed for 3 weeks. I hope things improve by then as many quilters work hard to finish their quilts to show, share and display.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

Who decides what is "political" or not? What is the threshold for what is considered political? What at I saw was mention of political office holders, (governor, mayor, etc), not a political agenda being pushed. Can we not mention public officials without it being considered "political?" Obviously we don't want political discussion on this forum, cuz it always turns ugly on the internet forums. We're mature enough here to heed general warnings already mentioned in the gudelines so I don't think further censorship is necessary until the guideline is pushed harder than this.

Now this thread is closed, huh? ๐Ÿ‘ฎ
                You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Comment

• K. McEuen
                  K. McEuen commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The question about amendments and right to assemble may lead to a political discussion,. My comment was a warning, especially considering one member made an offhand remark which closed a different thread.

I just wrote an email to the girl in charge of the Spring Craft Fair to be held at the high school April 3. Since the schools are shutting down I'm assuming it will be rescheduled for a later date.I literally just finished the last item I had planned to make but I still think it's safer to reschedule it and I hope they do
                https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
                Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

• Carlie Wolf
                  Carlie Wolf commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I just found out they did cancel our Craft Fair later today. They have not rescheduled it, or not yet. They're sorting out how to do the refunds to vendors

Originally posted by K. McEuen View Post
                If this thread turns any more political, it will be shut down.
                Thank you Karen for reminding us that sometimes there is a fine line that is easy to cross :-)
                https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
                Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

I wonder whether it would be possible to do a "virtual" quilt show... All the entrants submit photos of their quilts, and they post online? Yours is great, by the way!

Comment

• shermur
                    shermur commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sally......not sure if a "virtual show" could be done or not. The guild members are older...

Here in New Jersey just about everything is closed down. So I look at this as a perfect opportunity to get a lot of quilting done.

Comment

Working...
                  X