Bag.purse pattern help with cork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bag.purse pattern help with cork

I have some cork with gold flecks that I bought here ages ago. I'm thinking it would be nice for my dd's beach wedding. My question is about patterns that work best with it. Maybe a wristlet or something small? Have you made anything with it and tips?
    Lorie
    ๐ŸŒบKauai๐ŸŒบ

I have cork, but have not made anything with it yet. From what I know, it's fabulous to make purses and wallets with and I think whatever pattern you select, it should work fine. I would not select one with gathers or a large amount of pleats.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I've used cor quite a bit, but mostly as accent pieces. It does best if you don't have a bunch of hard folds, something with softer curves is nice. The edges, where it is folded will show wear first, especially with the colored cork. The natural color with flecks will wear better.

I have made one full cork bag, a printed natural color with black accents.

Blue Calla has a free pattern,, the Clematis, which is very popular and easy to make.
      K is for Karen ๐Ÿ˜Šโ€‹..................
      Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
      T - is it TRUE?
      H - is it HELPFUL?
      I - is it INSPIRING?
      N - is it NECESSARY?
      K - is it KIND?

Comment

Originally posted by K. McEuen View Post
      I've used cor quite a bit, but mostly as accent pieces. It does best if you don't have a bunch of hard folds, something with softer curves is nice. The edges, where it is folded will show wear first, especially with the colored cork. The natural color with flecks will wear better.

I have made one full cork bag, a printed natural color with black accents.

Blue Calla has a free pattern,, the Clematis, which is very popular and easy to make.
      Nice Karen! Thanks for the link too.

I was looking for patterns on Etsy and wow cork is a big thing now. look at all these prints and it's only one seller.
      https://www.etsy.com/shop/ArtCorkUSA...w_header#items

Lorie
      ๐ŸŒบKauai๐ŸŒบ

Comment

Jessica Cruzan owns Sew da Kine in Hawaii. She makes and sells cork bags. She also sells high quality cork if you need more.
        K is for Karen ๐Ÿ˜Šโ€‹..................
        Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
        T - is it TRUE?
        H - is it HELPFUL?
        I - is it INSPIRING?
        N - is it NECESSARY?
        K - is it KIND?

Comment

Here is a seller that is on the Big Island. The corks she gets are beautiful! You may be able to find some of her items on your island for sale.

https://www.sewdakine.com/
          pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

Comment

https://inspiredtosew.com/shop-now/p...sbody-bag.html

I have made several of these. There is one area I struggle with even though I have made it several times, most likely me not the pattern. My girls really like the ones I made for them
            โ€œWhat we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.โ€

― Albert Pine

Comment

Check out Sew Sweetness. She does a lot with cork, has free videos for some things and shares several tips for working with cork. https://sewsweetness.com/?v=0bfc16cc12ef

Comment

I haven't made a bag with cork yet, but I recently used my embroidery machine to make in-the-hoop chapstick holders. This weekend, I hope to tackle another in-the-hoop project. The cork has been wonderful to work with.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the help! I decided to get a little PDF clutch on Etsy.

โ€‹
                  Lorie
                  ๐ŸŒบKauai๐ŸŒบ

Comment

Sewsweetness.com had a lot of bag patterns that work well with cork. I just finished a hobo bag, wallet and zipper pouch in cork from Sarah's patterns.
                    Susan Davis
                    Remember, the mighty oak was just a nut that held its ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
                      I have some cork with gold flecks that I bought here ages ago. I'm thinking it would be nice for my dd's beach wedding. My question is about patterns that work best with it. Maybe a wristlet or something small? Have you made anything with it and tips?
                      Check out the Sallie Tomato website or Sew Sweetness. They are using a lot of cork fabrics and have some pretty ideas. I am so tempted to make one of the crossbody bags Sallie Tomato shows. Plus, the hardware is to die for!

Comment

Okay, I did buy a cheap PDF pattern on Etsy, but I looked at Sew Sweetness and liked this one for "a wedding".
                        https://sewsweetness.com/2016/01/fre...v=7516fd43adaa

Her link for the hardware isn't working. Where to look for it in gold or antique gold?
                        Lorie
                        ๐ŸŒบKauai๐ŸŒบ

Comment

I was able to click on the link. They are $8.99 from Emmaline Bags. I have heard/read of a lot of people who have problems with them...good luck!
                        pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

Comment

Thanks Karen! They had the antique one too.

Pat I still couldn't open the link? But found it in a search. I'm going to get the one in Karen's link, they screw on. I'm not a bag maker and I don't want to mess up this little piece of cork. lol

I'm making my own jewelry to match my dress and a piece for my dd as a surprise gift. I'll share when I'm all done๐Ÿ˜ฐhee-hee
                          Lorie
                          ๐ŸŒบKauai๐ŸŒบ

Comment

• bubba
                            bubba commented
                            Editing a comment
                            They do screw on, but I would still use some of that 5000 glue to hold it.
                        Working...
                        X