Wow! My Lucky Day!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow! My Lucky Day!!

My Aunt Betty died a few months ago one week short of her 98th birthday. In sorting out her things my cousin found a box with 3 antique quilts and a note they were made in the 1930's by my grandmother and her mother, and I didn't even know either of them quilted. Aunt Betty, who lived on a farm, had a large family, 10 kids--nobody wanted the quilts so my cousin gave them to me! I am so excited, what a treasure!! They all have a few brownish stains but no rips or holes. Only onevwas completed and needs new binding. The Dresden is a finished top and Sunbonnet Sue there are blocks sewed together for two twin quilts plus 10 left over completed blocks. I will try to post pics, my first time under this new forum, hope it works.

Attn embroiderers: if my pics come through would you look at the closeup of the pink one. It is all embroidered and the thread looks twisted or are those individual stitches? I have never seen anything like it am just curious how those stitches were made.

What a wonderful treasure you received.

Comment

Wonderful treasures to have, congratulations.
      Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

I answered your message....I think. Hard to figure out.
        TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

• jjkaiser
          jjkaiser commented
          Editing a comment
          Jeez this new forum! I can only see the first half of your sentence, it will not open all the way. I posted to squeaky wheel, we'll see what happens.

Congratulations on the family heirlooms. I love my antique quilts.
        Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
        ― Maya Angelou

Comment

Beautiful, what a treasure. I think the pink stitching is a stem stitch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TebgWq9AqyY
          Last edited by chelea; March 10th, 2020, 05:16 PM.
          Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Comment

I can't open your last message at all.
            TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

• jjkaiser
              jjkaiser commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for trying anyways

• 201 Treadler
              201 Treadler commented
              Editing a comment
              check the message setting in your profile if cannot see notification and message box at top of screen,
              'message vb'
              when set up pressing message
              that then opens a conversation box for reading, Steve sorted this for me. :-)

Amazing, 10 children and no one wanted this priceless treasure trove heirloom. Surely there were grandchildren. What in the world is wrong with people not wanting something that had heart and soul. But, LUCKY YOU. Anyway, to answer your question...my father was a hand embroiderer and that was a stitch that always showed up with his flowers.
            Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
            Terry

Comment

Lucky, lucky you! The pink stitches are definitely stem stitch, I have done a lot of it in my lifetime. These look very even and well done.
              sigpicIf you can't see the mistake from the back of a galloping horse, nobody is going to notice it.

Comment

Oh My Goodness! What a wonderful gift!!!
                I'll admit....its a LUCKY day for you!!! Congratulations!

They are amazing! I just found a quilt top of a Sun Bonnet Sue Quilt my DH's GMA made when his mom was little, so it's around 85-90 yrs old. (My MIL is 92 yrs old) I had to call my MIL to find out if it was actually something GMA did because I do have another Sun Bonnet Sue top that GMA made that isn't finished either.
                Last edited by redcaboose1717; March 11th, 2020, 02:38 AM.
                Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
                http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

Wow, what a beautiful treasure. Thankfully these didn't end up at a thrift store or dumpster.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

What a treasure and to have come to you who will love them instead of someone who didn't care for them. Sad to think out of all her children none of them felt an attachment to their mother's work that brought her such Joy.
                    If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

A jackpot of heirlooms! The dresden and its borders is my favorite! Sorry for your loss, happy for your gain!
                      Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

Wow how special! It's nice it's going to someone who appreciates them.
                        Lorie
                        🌺Kauai🌺

Comment

I was going to say stem stitch too, possibly with all six strands of DMC floss. From a stitch dictionary:

https://www.artsanddesigns.com/glossary/S

Comment

• jjkaiser
                            jjkaiser commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Thanks! Did not even know there was this online thread dictionary! I copied the link and when I have time want to go through it. I want to embroider names on mitten shapes for Xmas ornaments for my GKs and idk what kind of stitch to use, but thinking this might work.
                        Working...
                        X