Wedding quilt size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wedding quilt size

What size do you usually make a quilt that's going to be a wedding gift?

I usually do a big throw. Big enough for two to snuggle.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Comment

I have given Christmas throw size quilts lately. If they aren't quilty people there isn't a problem with putting it away most of the year.😉

Comment

It depends on how quilt worthy they are If I know their tastes and if they love quilts I will do a queen size quilt. If not I will make a lap size quilt for snuggling. I have also given Christmas themed quilted items like Claire. Tree skirts, wall hangings, table runners etc.

Comment

I'm wondering this too. I was going to try to find someone close enough to the couple to find out if they have a Queen or King bed, but that seems... overdone. Maybe I'll make a Queen and worst case scenario it can be used on a guest bed.

Comment

I make Queen if they are family. Others are lucky to get a throw.
            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• redcaboose1717
              redcaboose1717 commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree.....I've seen one of my quilts that ended up as "rags" on the garage floor....and just heartsick. The hubby used it for laying/sitting on when changing brakes on their SUV. ( I did rescue that quilt) The other quilt was getting gnawed to death by the family dog. He would jump on the quilt, and if there was a corner bunched up, he'd go over, bite it and shake the fool out of it.....After that, if I don't know the person likes quilts, I make a throw size. That way, if the people don't like the quilt I can handle it being used for a multitude of things......there's just so much love and work into a large quilt for a wedding gift, that I just no longer am comfortable in gifting to someone that doesn't love quilting as I do, and not everyone does. Years ago, I gifted everyone in the family (immediate family, sisters, aunts/uncles/grandparents quilts for Christmas and out of the 15 couples 9 have kept and enjoyed the quilts and have said so many times. The other 6 quilts....well, if I actually knew the "death" of those poor quilts, I don't know if I could actually handle it. As I mentioned, I was able to rescue just one of quilts I made. LOL!
              So, I leave the quilt gifts to a throw size if I don't know if the couple doesn't like handmade gifts whatever the occasions are and usually give tote bags for a shower gift (for Bridal OR Baby) especially if I know the person's hobbies or professions so I can make the tote bags around their hobbies, etc.
              I started giving every adult in the family a set of Pillowcases for a Christmas gift in 2013. I did that for 2-3 yrs, and then decided to make these people something else, because I thought they were probably getting tired of the pillowcases.....and that next Christmas I was asked "Where's the pillowcases? I love the pillowcases sooo much!" Really? So, I am still making pillowcases for Christmas & B-day gifts. I also make dishcloths for their B-day gifts and fashion the dishcloth into a "Bow" on the top of the B-day package. Everyone's happy, I'm thrilled that they enjoy the pillowcases and have decided that everyone gets Pillowcases for B-days, and Christmas, and no one has complained YET.
              Last edited by redcaboose1717; March 13th, 2020, 04:00 AM.

Jenny suggested a picnic size quilt in one of her tutorials.
            Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Comment

I am a fan of large lap size quilts - always have 2 or 3 in my living room and they don't have to match anything. Perfect in front of the TV or with a book.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Comment

I am finishing the binding on a quilt that will be Wedding gift.I made it twin size(66x80), which could be used as a large throw. I cant wait to gift it to them bc it turned out beautiful! They are very quilt worthy!
                  Last edited by Sunflr; March 11th, 2020, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X