My New Design Wall!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My New Design Wall!

I was watching a YouTube video the other day from a lady in the UK who was showing off her sewing area. She had made a quilt design wall using just a big piece of felt draped over her closet doors. I had never really heard of a design wall before but then started doing some searching and found out you can spend lots of money buying ones already made. Some of them are portable for taking with you to classes, others work like a window shade and can be pulled down from a box on top the wall. The Felt fabric wall started making lots of sense to me and I just happened to have a large piece of white felt so I put up my new design wall this afternoon!

I LOVE it! Never realized I could just put blocks or precut squares up on the felt fabric and they would stay in place! I started throwing up some fabric squares that I'm thinking about making a Disappearing 9 Patch with. (I've been watching Jenny's tutorial on Sympoz!) It really is fun to play with fabrics and color combinations to decide how you want to design your projects! Just thought I would mention how easy it is to do it with felt. I used my staple gun to tack the felt to my wall (I've got 20 year old wallpaper that will have to come down one of these days anyway...not really too concerned about putting small holes in my wall)

Anyway...I think the design wall concept is a very cool and useful idea!

NEW SEWING AREA AND DESIGN WALL.jpgTEST QUILT LAYOUT ON DESIGN WALL.jpgNEW SEWING AREA AND DESIGN WALL2.jpg

P.S. I just moved my sewing area downstairs to the partially finished basement and have lots more room to spread out! Its nice not having to keep things tidy and picked up since hardly anyone but me goes downstairs
    Last edited by Sewbee; December 11, 2010, 05:04 PM.
    Linda
    -its not the number of breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away!

sigpic

Re: My New Design Wall!

Sweet ideal

Comment

VERY nice sewing area! I made a small flannel board to lay out smaller projects. Until I can get a larger wall area, if I am doing strips, I flip them over my curtain rod to see how the colors work together.

I wish I could sew in my basement, which is also a garage. Someday I hope we can get rid of the garage door (we do have a separate 2 car garage) and close it in which would mean it wouldn't get so cold down there. Hmmm, maybe after the winter is over we can think about doing something about that.

Love your new wall and your blocks too!

Hugs,
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
      http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
      http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

Great idea! I just tacked up a vinyl table cloth with a flannel backing to the wall, and that is what I use for a design wall. Works great and is cheap! I have the basement to myself as well, so I can leave it messy if I want, which is most of the time!
        ~Laurie

Comment

It's awsome !

I ordered a design wall and hope that'll comes soon.
          I have a room in basement and I'am planning to set a sewingarea too.

It's a very nice thing though.

cu & hugs
          Carmen
          hugs and Happy quilting :icon_hug:

Carmen ;) from Germany, Rentweinsdorf

Check out my blog: www.bambine007.blog.de

Comment

Very cool!! I have a flannel backed vinyl table cloth that I hung up on my wall that I use as my design wall. It's great for not only working through designs, but also as a display area that is constantly changing!!
            Michele

Comment

Great idea on the table cloth, Keepstitchin and ShellScraps - I'm going to try it!
              There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Comment

I really like this. what a good idea. I will be getting some flannel this week
                Patrice

Comment

I agree the table cloth with flannel backing sounds like a super idea! If I need to use my felt for batting on a project one of these days I think I will put a table cloth up instead!
                  Linda
                  -its not the number of breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away!

sigpic

Comment

Great ideas! I have my sewing machine set up in a small space in front of my bedroom window and love looking out the window in warm weather but in the winter it gets cold. Think I will make a casing in either some flannel or felt or use the table cloth hit and hang it on the curtain rod. It will insulate the window and be fun and creative to look at in the winter!
                    Thank you for the inspiration!
                    Patti
                    Patti
                    "Like" me on Facebook @ Sweet Cherry Quilting to help spread the love of all things crafty and quilted!

Comment

Working...
                    X