Basic questions-needle size & stitch length

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basic questions-needle size & stitch length

What size needle and stitch length should I use when piecing together a quilt top?

Re: Basic questions-needle size & stitch length

For cotton fabric I use a size 80/12 needle, and a 2.5 stitch length.
    ~Laurie

Comment

I'm new to the issue of thread weights and needle sizes too. I have been using standard Coats & Clark Dual Duty Poly/Cotton thread both in my bobbin and in the top thread for piecing and quilting. Do I really need to use a lighter weight thread in the bobbin? Laurie would you use a larger needle for the actual quilting through the top, batting and back? I had used a 75/11 needle for my piecing and didn't think to change it when I started machine quilting the sandwich. My upper thread kept fraying and breaking so I changed to a 90/14 needle and so far so good. It does make a larger hole in my top when I am free motion stitching but I am having less problems with the top thread breaking. I have been sewing with a 2.0 stitch length for piecing and sometimes go down to 1.6 - 1.8 for stitch in the ditch quilting.
      Linda
      -its not the number of breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away!

sigpic

Comment

I try to use all cotton thread in both the bobbin and the needle because polyester can wear on your quilt eventually. For me, a 75 needle is just to small. I use the longer stitch for the sole purpose of (ACK!!!) unsewing. It makes it easier to take a piece apart if you need to.
        I do use a 90 for quilting, less thread problems. And I really find that using the same thread top and bottom eliminates thread breakage issues. As you, most machines have a mind of their own when it comes to thread, so I always try to do a small project with scraps of what I am doing first, so I know what temprament the machine is going to have with the thread and fabric and batting.
        I hope this helps!
        ~Laurie

Comment

Thanks Laurie! Really good tips! So far most my projects have been wall hangings so maybe the poly/cotton thread will not be a problem like it might be in a heavily used and laundered bed quilt. But I will start stocking up on cotton threads for future projects.

I hear you about longer stitch length making ripping out seams easier! I should probably keep mine longer for that reason too.

I generally test my thread setup, tension etc. with a small sample sandwich also....it is a tremendous help in detecting problems early instead of being surprised with a mess on my main project! Thanks again...think I will stock up on some 90/14 needles too!
          Linda
          -its not the number of breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sewbee View Post
            Thanks Laurie! Really good tips! So far most my projects have been wall hangings so maybe the poly/cotton thread will not be a problem like it might be in a heavily used and laundered bed quilt. But I will start stocking up on cotton threads for future projects.

I hear you about longer stitch length making ripping out seams easier! I should probably keep mine longer for that reason too.

I generally test my thread setup, tension etc. with a small sample sandwich also....it is a tremendous help in detecting problems early instead of being surprised with a mess on my main project! Thanks again...think I will stock up on some 90/14 needles too!
            You are welcome!
            ~Laurie

Comment

Working...
            X