buying a new sewing machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

buying a new sewing machine

Hi, Could any one give a suggestion, looking to buy a new sewing machine, don't have much money to spend. I do alot of crafting, rag quilts, and now just started my first quilt. Thanks

Re: buying a new sewing machine

I would start with a basic machine without all the bells and whistles. My first one was about $40., a Brother, from Walmart. It did the basics and I still use it lots. In fact, since I don't want to de-thread my newer machine which is set up for free motion quilting, I'll be pulling out my old one to sew just plain old seams to get it done.

There are ones out there for under $100.

Good luck,
    Hugs,
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
    http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
    http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

You could check a Sewing Machine Shop in your area and look at their USED machines. Some times you can purchase a nice machine that has been traded in for an upgrade and is selling for a small price. I always preferred the New Home because it has all metal parts inside - and this company is now the JANOME and will handle all sorts of sewing and crafts. I love mine. Many trade in their older machines for an electronic one with more stitches, so I think you'd be able to make a good purchase and have a hardy machine to enjoy. Debi

Comment

On that same line, you might want to consider Babylock. Family owned and operated, very reliable, all metal parts and sews like a tank. The lower end, no frills, models might run a little more than you are planning to spend; my machine cost $250 but I love it and it has never let me down.

Comment

I am a new quilter also and I bought a Brother sewing/quilting machine from Walmart for $199.99. It has all of the quilting attachments (walking foot etc.) and some other extras. I thought it was a good buy for all that you get and it's working well so far.

Comment

A local sewing machine store offers lessons for beginners and then when the lessons are complete you get the machine. I think it is $199 for the lessons then they give you the machine. It seems like a good deal to me.

Comment

I am also thinking of buying a new sewing machine and really enjoyed your suggestions.

Comment

Just something to think about. Before you settle on a super low priced machine find out what feet come with it. I bought a lower cost Singer machine when I first started and yes, it sews wonderfully but I have spent many $$$$ getting the right feet needed to quit. It came with lots of feet for general sewing but not quilting feet. If I had done a bit more research I could have bought a better machine that came with the feet needed to make my quilting more accurate for less then buying my feet seperatly. At the least you need a good walking foot, accurate 1/4" foot and a darning foot. A machine with a good size extention table is also a big plus but if your handy you can make one for around $15. vs the $80 they want to buy an after market one. Also mine does not have a "needle down" option. That is something that really comes in handy when quilting.

Just my two cents worth

Comment

I too think that "test driving" at your local store is the best thing to do...and try a few different stores even. I have dealers in town that only carry certain models or brands...so to try them all I had to go to several locations. Once i decided on what I had to have and what I could go with or without, I headed out and found something in my price range from each brand then went to testing them all out.
                  Good luck!!
                  Michele

Comment

Working...
                  X