Choosing thread color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choosing thread color

How do you choose the thread color for your quilt blocks? I am making Broken Slash blocks with blue red and tan. What are your suggestions?? Which color should I follow??

Re: Choosing thread color

The thread color all depends on how you want your quilting to look......do you want it to blend or stand out. Either way, you will have to audition several colors. I make up pratice blocks and try out several thread colors before deciding on which one I want. Sometimes you have your heart set on a color, but once you use it on a practice block you find out it does not look as good as you had hoped.

Happy Sewing,
    Rae

Comment

Originally posted by rcski2000 View Post
      How do you choose the thread color for your quilt blocks? I am making Broken Slash blocks with blue red and tan. What are your suggestions?? Which color should I follow??
      I agree with Rae for quilting thread but I suspect you are talking about the piecing process and this is different. This is what I do and I know people who disagree with me on the topic so you need to make you own decision.

If I am piecing with predominately dark fabrics then I will use a dark thread either matching or something close to the general overall colour, maybe black. If the fabrics are mostly light then I will a use a cream thread or something that matches, but where the colours strongly contrast such as yours do then I use a mid grey for the entire project. Mid grey tends to blend to both the light and dark or at least be less obvious for both, I have never had any problems with using this method, perhaps try it to see if it suits you.

I hope this helps, have fun and post a photo when your quilt is done, we love to see the quilts.
      Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

I use whites or greys on light fabrics,dark i will use blacks,maroons/dark greys,as Dragonfly says make a practice block first to test what goes or shows thru.
        Quilting is good therapy.

Comment

hello,

grey it's a very good idea! I thought that creme will be a good choice. But I'll try grey the next time.

thx, you girls helped me too

cu
          Carmen
          hugs and Happy quilting :icon_hug:

Carmen ;) from Germany, Rentweinsdorf

Check out my blog: www.bambine007.blog.de

Comment

I also either use creams or greys. Seems to work great for me. I just tried bottom line for Superior threads in both the top and bottom for piecing. I think I am in Love. You can get so much on a bobbin that I feel like I never have to change it!

Comment

I'm with you Lynn. That is what seems to work for me too.
              Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

Gray sounds like a good idea for your quilt. And cream too.
                I was at Joann's today to get thread for Zach's quilt and she said since I had big black with silver blocks and there were some red music blocks in there, plus golds and browns and yellows, what color was I interest in so I said I was hoping for a varigated of some sort. She talked me into using a transparent thread so that you will see the design (just a simple meandering), but not an actual thread color. So I bought some of that and also my brown-black-goldish thread just in case I decide that I need to actually SEE the thread as I am machine quilting.
                Good luck with your quilting and can't wait to see the finished project!

Hugs,
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
                http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
                http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

Thank you for all the advice. When I pieced the red and blue together I actually used a red thread.(before I read your responses) It actually turned out pretty well, not that noticeable. After I read your responses, I started adding the tan colored blocks and took your advice and used a beige. I think it turned out ok.

I can't figure out how to attach pictures for you.

Comment

Working...
                  X