Do Yo Sell Your Quilts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do Yo Sell Your Quilts?

I have a quilt that I have no need for. I really need some money right now and was wondering if someone could give me pointers on how to sell this quilt:
    Bear Quilt.jpgIMG_1949.JPG
    I machine pieced and hand quilted this last year and it has been in storage ever since. I'm just not sure how to advertise or where to post. I was thinking of asking $50-$75. As fellow quilters I'm sure you know how expensive and time consuming making a quilt can be but is this still asking too much money?

Re: Do Yo Sell Your Quilts?

I think that is a very reasonable price for this quilt. I find in the area where I live that is is difficult to get what quilts are worth. Most people would rather pay half that much and get some Chinese POC. I recently had someone ask me what I would charge for a simple baby quilt that I had made and when I told her $50 she suddenly decided she didn't need it. Anyone who makes quilts realizes how much money you can get in them and how much time is spent making them.

Comment

You handquilted that entire quilt? It is so beautiful! With all the work you put into it, should really get much more. I agree with Roxane that only quilters understand the time and love it takes to put something together. I sell on Etsy - mostly embroidered stuff but you could try that. Costs 20 cents to list your item. You should check it out to see what you think - for that, it is worth a shot! Or if you use Facebook, post photo on your page and give description.

Comment

I agree with the etsy suggestion. If you do, make sure you use a lot of key words. And it's worth way more than that. I can't believe you did that by hand! It's arorable
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

I totally agree lovely hand made quilt and it's worth far more.

I would suggest Etsy and you will need to promote it don't be afriad to ask a proper price for it. Do not undervalue your work.

I found my most expensive quilts sell far quickier than the one's I sell for a cheaper price. Quality will always win out, but you need to think who are my target market. No point trying to sell such a beauty to someone who only buys from walmart.
          http://folksy.com/shops/eileenscraftstudio

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fol...92535377497013

So many projects, but alas so little time

Comment

I agree with Aisles. This quilt is more valuable than the $50-$75 range. You need to promote it and not be afraid to ask for what it is worth. If you undervalue your work, you not see to the right group of people. Good luck.
            sigpicMISA
            I am a material girl. Wanna see my fabric collection?

http://www.aprairiehomequilts.com/qu...ng-quotes.html

Comment

I would try Etsy or maybe ebay. Doesn't cost much to list, and if it doesn't sell right away, don't be discouraged. It was worth more than you are asking, so I wouldn't go any lower than that. People do have a tendency to want something for next to nothing. I would also put it on my FB page and tell your friends it is for sale. You never know who might buy it thru there.
              Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
              sigpic

Comment

One thing you need to be sure and let people know is the size of the quilt. I wouldn't guess what a good price is for it without knowing the dimensions. What might appear to be a larger quilt might actually be 20" by 30", there's really no way to tell without all the information.
                K is for Karen 😊​ Albuquerque, NM..................
                Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                T - is it TRUE?
                H - is it HELPFUL?
                I - is it INSPIRING?
                N - is it NECESSARY?
                K - is it KIND?

Comment

Originally posted by K. McEuen View Post
                  One thing you need to be sure and let people know is the size of the quilt. I wouldn't guess what a good price is for it without knowing the dimensions. What might appear to be a larger quilt might actually be 20" by 30", there's really no way to tell without all the information.
                  I forgot to mention the quilt is 40X48 - I guess I'm just afraid to ask for what I think it's really worth since people think I'm crazy and I won't sell it when I really need to. How do you promote it on Etsy?

Comment

When you post it on Etsy, they ask you to list terms that will make it easier for people to find like baby, teddy bears, quilt, etc. Anything that someone would type in when they are searching for a baby quilt. Does this make sense?

Comment

I think you're way undervaluing it. In England I'd pay nearly double that just for the fabric . The man hours alone you must have spent on it make it much more valuable than that, don't undersell yourself. I'm sure someone would gladly pay a lot more for it, especially if they're buying it for a very special baby. The best of luck, I hope you get a really good, fair price.

Comment

I don't sell on Etsy or ebay, you just can't get the price they are worth and as people are forced to sell cheaper and cheaper the prices go down still further. What I do is find small very high class independant shops, in your case a baby shop. I go and look around and chat away and then say...........ohhhhhhhh I make quilts (cushions,etc etc, whatever fits in their shop). We always end up having a conversation about the cheap ones you can get that are imported and how everyones ends up with the same. Before you know it they are asking to see my stuff and to showcase it in their shop.

To have hand made, one off quilts on their walls makes them look good and makes me look good. I have quilts in interior design shops, in a curtain makers shop ( non of her fabrics sell for less than £90 per m!) and several furniture shops. I go into the ' furniture shops once a month and 'dress' their beds with quilts, their tables with tablerunners and their chairs with cushions. My 'dressings sell well. rarely does someone buy a chair without buying the cushion too or a bed without the quilt. The curtain shop sell my quilts that go with a fabric a customer has chosen , often the customer will fall in love with a quilt and chose curtains that go with it.

The shops take a % but I never give them more than 10% of the selling price.

There is always people with a lot of money even in the worst time and they spend spend spend. They adore that they have bespoke work. Give them the back story of the quilt and what your inspiration was and they love it more.

It takes some leg work but I sell Quilts for £500 + for a king size
                        £200 for a wall hanging

Do your homework on posh shops. Go to see them. Any handmade furniture shop will take your hand off to dress their settings.

Best of luck!
                        Blog
                        http://divinedaisydesigns.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

That's beautiful and I know it should sell for more than that also. I don't know anything about Etsy. Do you have a Craigs List in your area? Perhaps that is an idea you can check into also. You don't pay anything for listing it on there.

Hugs,

Comment

Working...
                          X