What was I thinking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What was I thinking?

I'm sure this is a common one. Has been the case many times before for me but I usually only have buyers remorse on sale fabrics that were cheap enuf to be kinda pretty :-|

But today I bought an Aussie mag and one of the quilts, tho a gorgeous pattern, just screamed at me as being made of ugly fabric. Ewww. What is it? I read. I gasped.

Pom Pom de Paris. Can't be! I have a stack of it in precuts. A jelly roll, layer cake and charm pack of it!! Was I just in love with the pink one on top and not take in its pink, lemon and red????

So I'm go n chew over this one...these weren't even on special so that's $120 down the drain....hmmm, I feel an eBay listing coming on :-( I don't want to do that....

If anyone's made something in it and love it, please direct me to a pic so hopefully I'll rediscover why I fell in love with it enough to buy so much of it lol

Cheers, pami

Re: What was I thinking?

Need to see a picture of the fabric.....tried to find on the quilt shop and gave up...too many pages and my eyes are tired!

Comment

I can see why you purchased the fabric, it's beautiful. I googled "quilted made from Pom Pom de Paris charm pack" then went to images. There are several pictures of quilts made from this line. Hope this helps you remember why you purchased the fabric. I'm sure you will find the perfect pattern to compliment the fabric.
      ​Janet :)

Comment

I just checked it out in the MSQC quilt store -- it's very pretty -- a jelly roll race quilt, a friendship braid -- they'd be pretty. If you really don't want to keep the fabric maybe someone in the forum would be interested in buying it from you. I've purchased fabric and then later wondered why I did, so you're not alone. I bet every quilter has made that mistake at least once!
        Dawn
        A bed without a quilt is like a sky without stars.

Comment

I googled the pack and personally I would have left it right where I found it. It is too dark and has a muddy look to it. I like bright clear colors, this pack is none of that, but every kitchen is different....
          Just One More Yard - Blog
          Just One More Yard - Craftsy

A clean house is the sign of a broken sewing machine!

Comment

I know what you mean, I bought something, many jelly rolls, charm packs etc of a line that looked great on the screen, but not what I thought in reality. I'll do something with it. The precut packs are so expensive that by the time you add it all up, you've got a lot of money sunk into it. You'd better love it before you start, or you'll have a very expensive quilt that you don't like as a result.

Comment

I have bought some charm packs/jelly rolls that I loved most of the fabrics but just didn't like all of them together so I left the ones I didn't like out and sent them to Jean. Maybe you could split the packs up and find other fabrics to make something beautiful out of your investment. Or like someone said, sell it, we all have different tastes.

Comment

I have been searching for the right butterfly fabric for 3 months which felt like a long time because my granddaughter wanted it so badly and then M* got a new line. Butterflies and Flowers. I loved it and bought enough charm packs to make her an x's and o's quilt for her bed. It came yesterday and 1/3 of it is just yucky. So I weeded out the squares I don't like. I will make the blocks with all of it and lay them out and have my daughter come over and help me piece it together on the design wall until we are both satisfied. Maybe once it is up on the wall I won't be so offended by some of those squares.

I have a rule for every fabric I buy. I might hate it but someone else will love it. I have made some gowns I hate that end up being my best sellers.
                Lisa

Please treat others as you would hope others would treat those you love.

[/COLOR]

Comment

I have the opposite problem! I don't buy enough of a fabric I love and then can't find it anymore when I want it! I just bought the prettiest butterscotch fabric and I'm sending DH out to buy the rest of the bolt I love it so much.
                  Cyndi

“Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.” - Victor Hugo

Comment

Originally posted by Claire Hallman View Post
                    I have bought some charm packs/jelly rolls that I loved most of the fabrics but just didn't like all of them together so I left the ones I didn't like out and sent them to Jean. Maybe you could split the packs up and find other fabrics to make something beautiful out of your investment. Or like someone said, sell it, we all have different tastes.
                    And Thank you Claire, that will be possibly one of the December projects I work on next!

Comment

I bought a purple bali jelly roll thinking it would be perfect for my grand daughter who likes purple. I was way to much purple! I did the three dudes and it just came out awful to me. I think it of worked better with the summer in the park. I'm learning not all packs work with certain patterns.
                      🌺 Lorie

Comment

I am looking forward to seeing your project, Jean.

Comment

LOL i love you guys!!...theres certainly some ideas in there that have gotten the brain working.......................................

so i pulled out the precuts...which is a job and a half in my studio at the best of times coz they were sort of buried...looked at them, pulled them apart and had good hard look at what i had...

with a more analytical approach i saw them differently...the fabric designs themselves i love, lots of toiles and etchings...the pink i love, very dusty yet warm...the lemons and off whites are okay too...and those three together are lovely...

its the RED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

its too dark for the others, and theres too much of it - about a quarter of the total amount of fabric...it overpowers it...

so i searched the web for pics and sure enough, evertime i saw it the red just stomped all over the design...once again, its maybe just to my eye, but to me there is just too much of a jump from dusty pastels to turkey red...

so im narrowing it it down to two options...add a medium dusty rose in the same quantities as the red to sort of 'bridge' between the pastel and dark, OR make two separate quilts and keep the reds together...

the more i look at this fabric the more i can see why i loved it, just didnt register how a quarter of it is the red when i flicked through the edge of the layer cake...to have bought that much i must have been thinking i'd redecorate my bedroom with it as a base...mustve bought it before i met the groom 14mths ago coz he HATES pink floral girly rubbish................................boy did he marry the wrong one lol...

thats it!!!!...i'll make two, a pretty one for me, and a yucky red one for him and they'll sort of co-ordinate...lollol

Comment

I agree. I love the fabric in that line.

Comment

Working...
                            X