EQ, Brutus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EQ, Brutus?

This may be posted somewhere deep within the threads and I just haven't found it. That being said, perhaps others who are fairly new or don't know how to navigate the forum well will be wondering the same thing.

Who here has EQ? Can you 'splain it to me? I know that it is a program for designing quilts. I just don't understand how. I have read that you can upload designers or name fabric to it, etc. Does it have a library of patterns within it? Would you spend the money on it again? Many other questions that escape me at this time, but I reserve the right to show my blondeness later on . . .
    Sewing mends the soul.
    sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
    Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
    ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Re: EQ, Brutus?

The lady at my LQS let me drool over it on her computer. From what I could see, there is a library of blocks that you can play around with to make new patterns or you can draw in your own blocks. Then, when you're happy with the quilt you can assign different fabrics to each piece, either using the ones built in or uploading fabrics (by scanning or downloading from websites).

I've found I can do most of that using other programs but the best bit seems to be that, when you're happy with the layout and the fabrics, it will draw up a cutting list, print out templates, and a list of yardages for each fabric. To me, that sounds like a dream!

I would love to get my hands on a copy but for now I think it's a little expensive. I'll just have to stick to a calculator.
    Quilting through the dull times
    northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Comment

I have EQ and would I buy it again...in a flash without a thought given. It does all of what Jill said and much more. It has layout, block, fabric, thread, applique and quilting design libraries and some I'm sure I've forgotten. Most fabric manufactureres now make fabric files available so you can design using the latest fabrics. It has fantasic applique drawing tools plus you can import images or photos and use the 'trace' function. It just does so much it would be impossible to list it all. One of my favourite functions is the serendipity tool that changes what you have to something new and wonderful and you can keep doing this to get a multitude of variations in design and colour to work with.

I could ramble on for ages, extolling the virtues of this software and I have barely scratched the surface of what I can do with it, I am still learning. If you love to play and design quilts it is a fabulous tool and worth the money but I would suggest you play with someone elses if you can before buying since it is a reasonable amount of money.
      Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

Hi Jill and Lynn
        thank you for the input. I think my geek brother may even have a copy of it somewhere in his vast library of programs. I may go down to his place and impose on him. I am wondering if it would copy. Okay, don't call the computer police. I just don't have the bucks to put into it after looking at the price.

Lynn, which version do you have? I notice on ebay that they are offering it in several versions, I am thinking they are all different updated versions ~ would you be knowing?
        Sewing mends the soul.
        sigpic

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
        ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

The current version is EQ7 which I have just updated to. Yes you could still use an earlier version quite successfully, they just keep adding nicer and easier to use options with each new version. If you are not into designing in a serious way and can pick up a cheap earler version go for it. Be wary though as you do need to use an access key (licence number) to activate the program.

There is access to video tutorials available in addition to those that come with the program and there are a number of excellent books both by the EQ people and user written authorised books.
          Last edited by Dragonfly; October 18, 2010, 08:07 AM.
          Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

I want it even more now. Sometimes paper and coloured pencils don't quite do. I can shout serendipity at the page all day but it doesn't give me any more inspiration

Comment

Hi Lynn and Jill
              Well, a quick trip to my brothers came back with a EQ 5 version he found at a flea market! It had the serial number with it. Unfortunately it did not come with any index or manual. I have it installed on my computer now.

Jill, it looks like photoshop program but it came with some blocks, etc. I wish YOU WERE HERE across the pond! I would certainly let you play with it and then teach me.

I am wondering now if I can purchase updates. Hmmm. This is the one good thing my dear brother has done for me in years. LOL. He has this huge room for like a zillion computers of all sorts that he works with and programs and . . . I was surprised he had a legal copy!
              Sewing mends the soul.
              sigpic

~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

LOL sounds like a good brother to have, is he sharable.

You can buy updates once you have a valid licence but they tend not to be super cheap as the update does not add to the existing program like some updates, it is a whole new program. Since they don't do updates frequently there are a lot changes between updates. You still get it at a reduced price but it is still a reasonable amount. You would be amazed to go from EQ5 to EQ7, there are a lot of changes.

As to not having a manual, there is an on board help and you can get online assisstance. I never had EQ5 so I dont know its functions but I'm sure you will have fun with it. Try looking for the manuel and companion books online secondhand they should be cheap since it is an older version.

Have fun playing.
                Lynn

Comment

I had a look around and I found some free tutorials for you to have a play with: http://www.squidoo.com/Electric-Quilt-Tutorials

If you scroll down to "Download free Electric Quilt Tutorials" there's a whole list of them that have been published in an Australian quilting magazine. They look really easy to follow and might be a good way to get started. Have fun (I'll try not to be too jealous) x

Comment

Originally posted by jrchapman View Post
                    If you scroll down to "Download free Electric Quilt Tutorials" there's a whole list of them that have been published in an Australian quilting magazine. They look really easy to follow and might be a good way to get started. Have fun (I'll try not to be too jealous) x
                    Hmm, as I recall they were in Downunder Quilts magazine and they were quite good. There's lots of info out there...*sigh* another way to waste (sorry constructively use) our time.
                    Lynn

Comment

Thanks once again, ladies.
                      Jill, I will be checking those out and will let you know what I think.

Lynn, my brother is more of a packrat/hoarder and buys stuff he never uses but thinks perhaps one day someone will. Lucky me today. LOL. In truth, I don't know HOW he was able to find that little disc in all that pile. I really wanted to bathe when I got home.

I will be checking out the links and tuts. I haven't had time to play around with it yet. Been a full day; just back from visiting with too much family. Off to bed and some tv.

PS - I love those down under quilt mags. I have purchased them in the past on ebay. One lap quilt I made recently was from one of them. I love the Aussie attitude of sewing and piecing and just in general all around attitude. It is so FRESH and fun.
                      Last year I did a friends swap with a quilting friend down under. You may be familiar with her blog?
                      Khris - she has two blogs: http://www.freebiesforcrafters.blogspot.com/ and http://www.sewprimkhris.blogspot.com/

Thanks again Ladies. You have helped me muchly!
                      Sewing mends the soul.
                      sigpic

~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

Working...
                      X