Christmas gifties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christmas gifties

I know it may be early for some or even late to start thinking for others but I am curious to see what you plan on creating for your family and friends for Christmas. Since I have loads to give to, I generally start after Christmas. I try to make a master list and plan things out. Notice I worded it "try" - best laid plans often go awry. But I am doing okay so far, lots of smaller gifts this year.
    I am making a lap quilt for my DD, will try to post a pic when I can. I found the pattern in an old Austrailian quilting magazine and I am pleased with the results.
    I am thinking of making extra pin cushions, hot pad mats, casserole carriers and a few placemats for close friends.

Is it okay for me to post this here? Hoping to get some good ideas and pics to drool over. This group is so very versatile.
    Sewing mends the soul.
    sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
    Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
    ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Re: Christmas gifties

I havent really started yet but I love the idea of pot holders and things you mentioned. Their was a wonderful post on some ideas in the forum with a ton of ideas. I get overwhelmed lately ...and seem to go from one project to the next without completion ughhh
    One Moment at a time

Comment

Hot Pad Mats? That sounds very interesting . I am always looking for hot pads. Do you know where I can get a pattern? Thanks.
      Shirley :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

Shirley ~ what I do is decide what size I want to make them and then just use my UFO's. they wind up being 8, 10, 12 inch squares or sometimes rectangular one from my odd size UFO's. I sandwich them with batting, quilt and then bind. Quick and easy.
        One of the pot holders I like to make is one for iron skillets. I trace around the handle of the skillet and give a good generous seam allowance. I put in some of the potholder filling - I forget what it's called - I have a few different types - then I quilt, sew the seams and bind. I hope that makes sense to you?
        Blessings
        Blondie
        Sewing mends the soul.
        sigpic

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
        ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

I haven't even thought about Christmas yet, too busy packing to move back to uni. Last year I made a little goose and a little bunny for my twin nieces:

and a lap quilt for my step mother:

This year I'd like to make a tea cosy for my mum. She saw this one in a shop window and fell in love with it:

I think it should be easy enough to do, I might make him a little less sleepy though, you don't want to leave a sleepy owl in charge of your tea!
          Last edited by jrchapman; September 27, 2010, 05:11 PM.
          Quilting through the dull times
          northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Comment

Love the tea cosy so cute! I haven't thought much for christmas gifts really.
            Pot holders sound lovely.
            Quilting is good therapy.

Comment

JR--Love,love the tea cosy! He looks sad though. Maybe with his eyes open more he will be happier. Please do a tut or pattern for him. I would love to have him for my own!!
              Saundra

May your troubles be less and your blessings be more and nothing but happiness come through your door! God bless the USA!:icon_wave:

Comment

I was thinking of a tutorial - maybe a range of woodland creatures. Do you think you could get a spout to go up a squirrel's tail?

Has anyone ever made a joint pincushion-thread catcher thingy? Our hoover is getting really bunged up with bits of thread so I thought this might be a good idea for mum too. I saw one at my LQS but I was too busy secretly buying fabric for my owl (hiding it from mum) so I didn't get a chance to have a nosy at how it was put together.

Comment

Originally posted by jrchapman View Post
                  Do you think you could get a spout to go up a squirrel's tail?
                  Just realised how weird that sounds!

Comment

What would I need that for?
                    Saundra

May your troubles be less and your blessings be more and nothing but happiness come through your door! God bless the USA!:icon_wave:

Comment

Originally posted by jrchapman View Post
                      Just realised how weird that sounds!
                      that does sound a little wierd! not sure that would be inviting for tea! LOL
                      Two of my favorite things, to encourage and to be encouraged
                      hugs, Suzi
                      http://suzi.mypremierdesigns.com/
                      it's what i do when i'm not here sewing with you

GOD Bless America

Comment

Jr ~ a tut sounds great for the owl and I think it would be hilarious to see a cozy with the squirrel tail . . .
                        Here is a link for you for a pincushion/thread catcher:
                        http://www.sewmamasew.com/store/medi...nOrganizer.pdf

Hope it opens correctly for you.
                        Sewing mends the soul.
                        sigpic

~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

Working...
                        X