• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dragonfly
    replied
    Re: Tip of the Day

Originally posted by hillbilly View Post
    QUILTER’S TIP OF THE DAY: Using a plain bar of soap to store your pins and needles has multiple advantages. By inserting them into the bar it will coat the pins and needles with a thin film that will not only prevent rust but will also help to glide smoothly through multiple layers of fabric and batting. Happy quilting!
    Ooh I hate to be overly negative but as a trained laboratory technician in a previous life, when I actually worked for a living, I'd have to say to be cautious of this practice. Soaps are made using caustic substances, it's what makes them work, not all mind you but most. I personally wouldn't be putting caustic substances anywher near my fabric. Like a lot of things, you won't see the damage anytime soon but...

If you want to use something along these lines, use wax, it is a relatively inert substance, which is why it can be used on quilting thread.
    Last edited by Dragonfly; September 13, 2010, 08:10 AM.

Leave a comment:

• hillbilly
    started a topic Tip of the Day

Tip of the Day

I get a quilters tip of the day on facebook, and check out what she posted today!

QUILTER’S TIP OF THE DAY: Using a plain bar of soap to store your pins and needles has multiple advantages. By inserting them into the bar it will coat the pins and needles with a thin film that will not only prevent rust but will also help to glide smoothly through multiple layers of fabric and batting. Happy quilting!

I have never heard of such a thing!! I'll start posting the tips here.
Working...
X