X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• toggpine
    replied
    Re: What is your favorite Quilt block

I think my favorite block is whichever one I am working on at the moment!
    I have made a bunch of single blocks for the "round robin" type swaps I have been in the last few years. Wit the first one, I tried to make a different block for each quilt. This was great because I could build my skills, the second swap I ended up making mostly one type of block, but used different fabrics. It was fun to see how the color play worked that way too.

Leave a comment:

• debinmalaga
    replied

I'm having a love/hate thing with pinwheels right now, but think my favorite is the disappearing 9 patch. You get to showcase some pretty fabrics, you look like you did a lot of cutting and sewing but with the precuts it's a jiff. If you want to add some scrappiness you can do some fun borders, but I like them on their own.

Leave a comment:

• MaryB
    replied

Mine would have to be Bear's Paw (it keeps getting in there somehow), Log Cabin ('specially off-centre), 54-40 or Fight (tho' must admit, not very good at it), Friendship Star and I just luuuurve EPP hexis.

That's a pretty hard question, middlesis, and a really good one. I suspect there will be lots more replies yet, LOL!

Mary B.

Leave a comment:

• eashka
    replied

My favorite to look at is the Dresden Plate. But the Log Cabin is my favorite to sew. I hope to try some new things following Jenny and using her quick and easy methods.

Leave a comment:

• janluna
    replied

Originally posted by shell.scraps View Post
    I think they meant that they are a fan of the log cabin...
    That figures I'm thick skulled! I feel like an idiot. I love the grandmothers fan so much. When I saw fan my mind just took off in that direction. Forgive me.

Leave a comment:

• Blondie
    replied

My very favorite quilt is the log cabin; I've done several and it was the first quilt I was taught to piece by hand by my quilting granny.

I often try to remember some of the quilts she did that I could replicate. Clam shells - oh endless long nights watching Johnny Carson and monster theatre cutting those rascals out - and she did the most fabulous fans and wedding rings. I can dream of them in my mind. I often wonder what my granny's reaction would be if she were here with me today sewing and quilting. She didn't own a sewing machine, had no clue of strip piecing, she couldn't read but studied pictures and did a durn good job of creating quilts from that. I do have one unfinished quilt she and my Poppa were working on before it died. It needs a binding and for years I have wondered what type of binding to use. Perhaps I will dig it out and post a pic. Your brilliant and creative minds may be able to help me out.

Blessings

Leave a comment:

• shell.scraps
    replied

Originally posted by janluna View Post
    What does a log cabin fan look like?
    I think they meant that they are a fan of the log cabin...

Leave a comment:

• janluna
    replied

What does a log cabin fan look like?

Leave a comment:

• proxious
    replied

log cabin is my fav

Leave a comment:

• proxious
    replied

a log cabin fan

Leave a comment:

• Lola2Ace
    replied

I love that it looks like sashing and corner setting blocks on every one, but what an easier way to do them! I really wanted to do this layout for the D9 patch, but I didn't think I had enough 'character'
    fabric for the I-Spy part. But, I will do this version some day.
    Lola

Leave a comment:

• Texsam
    replied

Thanks for the link Lola. That looks like a fun way to do that pattern.

Leave a comment:

• Lola2Ace
    replied

I don't know how soon I will get an I-Spy version made, so here is the link to the tutorial.

http://obsessivelystitching.blogspot...ring-nine.html

I pretty much followed her other version for the Disappearing 9 patch and it is turning out very nice. It's the quilt that is awaiting borders because I can't decide which fabrics I want to use for them. Most of the time, that's what takes me so long to accomplish anything because I have a terrible time making decisions.
    Lola

Leave a comment:

• Texsam
    replied

Hey Lola,

No I haven't every heard of the I-spy layout. Sounds interesting. Looking forward to seeing yours when you make, I'll be waiting patiently ( no rush ya know )

Leave a comment:

• Lola2Ace
    replied

Shelia, you will love the disappearing 9 patch! It's so fun to play with the layout of the blocks once you have them cut, meaning after you make the 9 patches and then cut them in 4.
    Have you seen the I-Spy layout of them?? I had such a hard time deciding between that and another layout of them! The I-Spy, you have to decide before because it affects how you sew the 9 patches together to start. I didn't use the I-Spy on this quilt, but I will soon.
    Lola

Leave a comment:

Working...
X