Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cristie's Baby Quilt, My versio of "Summer in the Park"....Officially my second quilt....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cristie's Baby Quilt, My versio of "Summer in the Park"....Officially my second quilt....

Sorry I haven't shared any work since Christmas.

Right after Christmas one of many nieces called announced that she is with child and asked me to make her bumper pads and a matching quilt. Of course I will I said. I only have weekends to work on my quilting because my job thinks they own me during tax reporting time......but they don't....I manage to work some things in between sleep and Qtime with DH.

And the story begins....yeah, there is always a story when dealing with my family. She said she wanted something that she could use for all her children. I asked her what her theme was and she said she had none.

Well, after a few emails back and forth she shared the colors she wanted to use. Off I went and bought the fabric and found the cutest frog pattern that would match her color choices. I was so excited so show her the fabric, that I emailed her pictures of them along with the cute frog pattern fabric. BIG...HUGE mistake. Apparently, her husband has say in this (who would of thought---where I come from this is for mommies to decide). I received a very pleasant email loving the colors but the one sentence that stood out was "....we would prefer that you did not use characters of any kind". So no froggies..

Once I discovered that...I stopped asking questions. I was only trying to stick to her theme ....another lesson learned.

After making the bumper pads exactly the way she wanted, I decided to make the quilt a little different to try and tone it down some. What did I do? Something really stupid and used a pattern on line. It looked simple enough and the process was logical. After making the entire quilt top, I could not get the blocks to align and they were way to small. I used the "Striped Baby Boxes Pattern" Designed by Cynthia Muir. So regretfully, I had to painstakingly unsew what I could re-use and then buy more fabric. Thus ends the "Cristie's baby quilt story"

It was then I decided to stick with Jenny.....next time I will use Jenny's tuts FIRST.

Here is the sandwiched quilt top (it is not layed flat) and the labels I made to put on the back.

IMAG0004.jpgIMAG0003.jpgIMAG0002.jpg

Not sure how to bind it after a quilt it. All suggestions are welcome...brown satin?

Bumper pix to follow tomorrow.....
    It's all about the journey ...not the destination.......:D
    So.....Quilt it down.........:icon_wave:

Re: Cristie's Baby Quilt, My versio of "Summer in the Park"....Officially my second quilt....

Aww - that turned out so pretty!!

We all make mistakes and maybe that one pattern was just not written correctly, so don't write off all online patterns.
    Jenny does have alot of cool patterns to choose from - I have a hard time picking the perfect one.

I hope they love the quilt, if they don't, you can just send it on to someone who does.

Hugs,

Comment

Re: Cristie's Baby Quilt, My versio of "Summer in the Park"....Officially my second quilt....

Your quilt is beautiful! Love the colors. I spend a lot of "pre-project" time wondering what patterns to use. There are some free patterns on allpeoplequilt.com which use some of the charm packs from MSQC. Even if you don't like the exact pattern, the finished project can be viewed. You can change what you want. I think your quilt would look nice with a bright green or pink (if for a girl). I'm sure it will be gorgeous when you finish it.
      cellomom:icon_wave:

Comment

Laura it is darling, I am currently working on a Summer in the Park I hope my comes out as nice as yours. I just did a small 1.5 inch white boarder with mine because mine in the front looks so busy to me and I didn't want to take away from the front and I backed with with white. I will post when I complete hopefull in the next two weeks. Mahalo
        sigpicHawaiigrammi

Comment

What a beautiful quilt! You sister will love it! If you know the gender of her baby, you might want to use the blue or pink for the binding. If not I'd use the brown or green. : )
          :icon_hiya: Coleen

"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good I can do, or any kindness I can show, let me do now, for I will not pass through this way again."

Comment

That turned out just beautiful. I am sure the parents are going to love it. You said they wanted to use it for all their children, so I am assuming they plan on having more, so, in that case I would use the brown or green as the binding.
            Donna
            MSQC: Where Strangers become Friends and Friends become Family!

"The soul would have no rainbows, if the eyes had no tears."native American wisdom

sigpic

Comment

lovely lovely lovely!

second rule of quilting for others.......dont give them tooooooo many options!

I would actually bind it in white. I think the quilt is singing for its own supper in a lovely voice and doesnt need much help
              Blog
              http://divinedaisydesigns.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Divine Daisy View Post
                lovely lovely lovely!

second rule of quilting for others.......dont give them tooooooo many options!

I would actually bind it in white. I think the quilt is singing for its own supper in a lovely voice and doesnt need much help
                That was my first instinct when I saw it, just keep the binding simple. I think brown satin will draw attention to the binding and take away from the center.

Comment

That looks so pretty, and I love the piecing you did between the two borders. I see on your label Halfmoon, my sister lives in Clifton Park, I will be heading up that way the end of April to see her and we're off to Lake George for a quilting retreat.
                  Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Comment

I love your quilt, you did a good job! I think a turquoise (or blue color can' t tell) binding would make it pop or I like the idea of brown as well.

Comment

I love this quilt! great job.

Comment

Cathy F...I have next week off from work and will be quilting this up. Aloha Sandy (how I wish I could be there).....this is also backed in white. Divine Daisy and Jean Sewing machine......that is a great idea! I never thought of binding it in white. I likey.

Thanks for all nice compliments......I will be glad when it is done. It has taken too long and I want to work on a new purse first.
                        It's all about the journey ...not the destination.......:D
                        So.....Quilt it down.........:icon_wave:

Comment

You did a great job. It is so very pretty.
                          Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Keep the binding simple so as not to distract from the quilt itself. BTW, it is gorgeous.
                            Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                            sigpic

Comment

Beautiful colors & quilt! I really love your labels, too!

Comment

Working...
                              X