Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ginny B
    replied
    What a beautiful quilt Terry! I would like to try using my embroidery machine for a quilt. Yours is an inspriration.

Sorry that you are feeling so stressed. I hope the change goes more smoothly than anticipated. I am happy to see there may be some forum friends nearby.

Leave a comment:

• Rhonda K
    replied
    Beautiful quilt and it fits right in with your new move. Best wishes on your new adventure.

Leave a comment:

• redcaboose1717
    replied
    Terry, maybe you're right....maybe we shouldn't take it so personally. I don't know.
    Thanks for your comment though.
    garfield-relaxing.gif

Leave a comment:

• geegeequilts
    replied
    Terry, I know you're apprehensive about having 2 places but, I believe things will work out for you. Keep positive & let God guide you. Who knows...you might enjoy it more than you think. Your quilt is GORGEOUS!! Gina

Leave a comment:

• grammaterry
    replied
    All my friends on the forum mean more to me than you can imagine...or perhaps you can since you show up here every day as I do

Leave a comment:

• Bubby
    replied
    Good hearing for you. Retirement can be a real adventure. It’s so difficult when both of you aren’t fully in agreement. I feel for you and will keep you in my prayers. Please keep in touch with us here. Hugs....

Leave a comment:

• MHG Winnower
    replied
    Missed your posts, Terry. I was hoping that all was well with you. My best wishes for your "test" move. We had two homes and found that it just didn't work for us. It wasn't such a hard decision to choose one and we are staying put in our original since the pros greatly outway the cons. Glad to hear that you may have some forum buddies close to you. Stay in touch here, though, for those of us not lucky to be in your new neighborhood.

Leave a comment:

• grammaterry
    replied
    Originally posted by redcaboose1717 View Post
    Re: getting ready for move to coast of NC

Terry, this happens to a lot of people that retire. My parents were the same way, until they both compromised. They did work it out and things went smoothly after than. My mom wanted to travel more, and my dad missed the grandkids and we 3 girls. I'm not saying mom didn't miss us, but she wasn't uptight as Daddy was the first two years they weren't home for Christmas. Afterwards, they started planning to spend the holidays with us. Within a few years, my parents health declined and they travelled with one of us girls when we travelled which worked out great. Mom/Dad could do their own thing if they wanted, we did the same and then too, if we wanted to all get together we did.
    I've had the same issue with my hubby. He really doesn't want to do much except stay home and re-type the Tolken books which I find ridiculous but hey,if that's what he wants to do fine. However, he refuses to even talk about spending 3-4 months in a warmer climate and I've done everything but suggested we split up. He of course is my 2nd husband whom I married several years after my 1st hubby died unexpectedly.
    I've even noticed when we go out....he seems to act as though we aren't even together, or a couple. He walks 2-3 ft. behind me all the time we are in a store, and actually prefers to sit in the car while I shop.
    I've said this before (and yes, I am a procrastinator for sure) but I find this really strange that he does these things.
    I've noticed that I don't go out that much with friends because he seems to take offense to it. He doesn't outwardly complain, but you get the jest he isn't happy about it.
    I ran into an old colleague today, and we are making plans to start walking 2-3 per week....I could tell he wasn't thrilled, but I'm done caring that he doesn't.
    Anyway, you're situation is vastly different and I hope you get it straightened out. I'm sure you will.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]162889[/ATTACH]
    My sympathy for your situation. I think men just get like that. Maybe we shouldn't take it personally.

Leave a comment:

• grammaterry
    replied
    Originally posted by Judy, USMC View Post

Hey Terry - Welcome to the 'hood. Let me know when you are planning on getting here! Yes, I'm in Jacksonville which will be 1hr 20min from you. When I go on my private retreat to Fairfield Harbour I'll only be about 40 minutes away. I'm sure by now you've been to The Silos - love it for lunch.

I've been a snowbird for a while and have successfully maintained the home here in NC and in Chicago since I inherited it from my folks in 2006. It's really not that difficult ... but you are doing the right thing by having a test run, so to speak. PM me and I'll give you my phone number. BTW, we have a new Guild member who has just moved from Oriental to Jacksonville after her spouse passed away. So if you need any quilting info I have a source for you ...
    tried to pm you but it says I need to verify my humanity and I don't know what they want me to do

Leave a comment:

• MaggieSue
    replied
    Missed seeing your posts I do hope when you settle you will be able to visit us. Best of luck on your move!!!

Leave a comment:

• Cathy F
    replied

Terry, we've missed your posts. I lived in Havelock for 1 1/2 years in 1967 while my husband worked on the Cherry Point base there. Your post brought back many memories from there.
    Your quilt is beautiful and will be a comfort to you in your home there. Enjoy your time there and I wish you well.

Leave a comment:

• Judy, USMC
    replied

Hey Terry - Welcome to the 'hood. Let me know when you are planning on getting here! Yes, I'm in Jacksonville which will be 1hr 20min from you. When I go on my private retreat to Fairfield Harbour I'll only be about 40 minutes away. I'm sure by now you've been to The Silos - love it for lunch.

I've been a snowbird for a while and have successfully maintained the home here in NC and in Chicago since I inherited it from my folks in 2006. It's really not that difficult ... but you are doing the right thing by having a test run, so to speak. PM me and I'll give you my phone number. BTW, we have a new Guild member who has just moved from Oriental to Jacksonville after her spouse passed away. So if you need any quilting info I have a source for you ...

Leave a comment:

• redcaboose1717
    replied

Terry, this happens to a lot of people that retire. My parents were the same way, until they both compromised. They did work it out and things went smoothly after than. My mom wanted to travel more, and my dad missed the grandkids and we 3 girls. I'm not saying mom didn't miss us, but she wasn't uptight as Daddy was the first two years they weren't home for Christmas. Afterwards, they started planning to spend the holidays with us. Within a few years, my parents health declined and they travelled with one of us girls when we travelled which worked out great. Mom/Dad could do their own thing if they wanted, we did the same and then too, if we wanted to all get together we did.
    I've had the same issue with my hubby. He really doesn't want to do much except stay home and re-type the Tolken books which I find ridiculous but hey,if that's what he wants to do fine. However, he refuses to even talk about spending 3-4 months in a warmer climate and I've done everything but suggested we split up. He of course is my 2nd husband whom I married several years after my 1st hubby died unexpectedly.
    I've even noticed when we go out....he seems to act as though we aren't even together, or a couple. He walks 2-3 ft. behind me all the time we are in a store, and actually prefers to sit in the car while I shop.
    I've said this before (and yes, I am a procrastinator for sure) but I find this really strange that he does these things.
    I've noticed that I don't go out that much with friends because he seems to take offense to it. He doesn't outwardly complain, but you get the jest he isn't happy about it.
    I ran into an old colleague today, and we are making plans to start walking 2-3 per week....I could tell he wasn't thrilled, but I'm done caring that he doesn't.
    Anyway, you're situation is vastly different and I hope you get it straightened out. I'm sure you will.
    Sisters 2.jpg

Leave a comment:

• chelea
    replied

Gorgeous quilt Terry. It's so good to hear from you but I'm sorry things have been stressful. I've always found the beach so therapeutic. Maybe it will be the same for you once you are settled.

Leave a comment:

• URIBARRI-MAYOR
    replied

Terry I missed his threads, but I wish his transfer to be calm and happy, to enjoy new experiences and not forget us, Its quilt is magnificent and very beachy embroidery, congratulations on your precious work

Leave a comment:

Working...
X