layer cake FMQ sampler quilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

layer cake FMQ sampler quilt

I wanted to share this because if you're a newer FMQer like me, I couldn't recommend a project like this more highly!!

I'd been afraid to venture beyond basic meandering and looping, partly because most of my quilts are gifts and I didn't want to "ruin" one with subpar quilting. (That may be a bit silly, but I bet most of you understand exactly what I mean )

So, I bought a layer cake and pieced it into a really simple top, so that I had something I hadn't put a ton of time into and wasn't too attached to. I quilted a different FMQ design on each of the 42 squares. Some squares certainly came out better than others (included close-ups of my favorites), but it was all such good practice and a great confidence builder. Leah Day's website was a great source of ideas for designs.
    Attached Files

Re: layer cake FMQ sampler quilt

And I should add - I've always been impressed by the incredibly intricate designs some of you do all over your quilts, but after the time I spent on this, I'm now truly in awe!

Comment

You're doing great! Practice certainly is the key! We all had to start somewhere. My first FMQ attempts were pathetic. You've practiced some patterns there I haven't even tried. Angela Walters is a great resource. I have 3 of her books, have taken some of her classes on line, & get the FMQ challenge videos she periodically does. I've used many of her designs. Keep up the good work. Another way to practice & develop that muscle memory is to use a white board. You can erase it & try again. Paper also works.

Comment

Very inspiring. Thanks for sharing.
        Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

Yes, I love the whiteboard for practicing! I definitely struggle with just drawing some of the motifs (flowers....arg), let alone quilting them.

I haven't seen much of Angela Walter's work - I will have to check it out!

Comment

Beautiful work! What a smart way to practice, FMQ!
            Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
            ― Maya Angelou

Comment

Great way to practice FMQ, wecoan! Another website that I have found helpful is Lori Kennedy Quilts. She has developed tons of FMQ designs and has a brief tutorial on every one.

https://lorikennedyquilts.com

Comment

Way to go. Maybe someday I will take the time.
                Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

You did a great job and I think you will have trouble parting with this quilt. This will be a personal reference tool.

I made a quilt a few years ago using the M* Diamond Dash pattern, so basically 10 x 5" block. I did different design in each. I did give it to a dear friend last year. I used inspiration from Angela Walters, Leah Day, Amanda Murphy and Jeanne Harrison.

It's only with practice that we can improve. Keep up.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

What a great idea! And I've got to say there is no better practice than just diving into a real quilt. I used to practice a lot on muslin squares (and still warm up on them) but there is just something about a real quilt or nice fabric that encourages you to do your best work. I love your piped binding too!

Comment

Great idea... we all have our "go to" designs...not all as a natural fit! This is a wonderful idea to try.. Thanks.. Hugs, GB
                      "Each day well-lived and Happy;
                      that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

You are much braver than I was when I started practicing! I sewed together the neck scarves the dog groomer would give my dog when we took him in for grooming. He and my cat have my practice quilts-they were not critical of my free motion quilting!

Comment

Laura that is a cool idea using those scarves from the groomer. I have some really cheap $1 yard fabric that I use to practice on and I also give the quilts to my dog. She has never complained that they had no binding on them. Another use I found was my husband loved them when he needed something to pad things he was hauling in the car.

Comment

Great job - and thanks for the idea of using a simple design to make a sampler quilt!

Comment

I love your idea has managed to learn many figures and also has made a beautiful quilt, congratulations for your excellent idea and your good work

Comment

Working...
                              X