The Ten-foot Table Runner and the Amazing Thing that Happened

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ten-foot Table Runner and the Amazing Thing that Happened

A month or two ago, the local gift shop put in a standing order for 20 bowl cozies every month. It's a bit of a two-edged sword: on the one hand, it's great that they are selling so well, but it's a rather sizable time commitment, since I have a full time job, and Christmas is coming, etc.

Well, as I was busily chain-piecing December's lot of cozies, I received an email from a lady who wanted to know whether I had any Christmas table runners she could buy. I still had several from our church craft fair, and was just about to send her the pics so she could select one, when I re-read her message. She wanted a TEN-FOOT table runner (that's a bit over 3 meters for our overseas quilty friends). And she needed it by Dec. 22. Oy. I'm soooo behind on Christmas, I have NO more vacation days between now and Christmas Day, I need to make a wallet for my DGS, a set of 12 coasters for DIL, and at the very least get DD10's quilt sandwiched. Okay, all of that will just have to wait.

I do have a rather large (for me) Christmas fabric stash, and I reasoned that I could make a bunch of pinwheels out of red & white fabrics, and sash with green. But as I was selecting fabrics, I found a panel consisting of fifteen 6" squares; each had one lovely old-fashioned ornament on it. Talk about a time-saver! And then I found enough of one red fabric to sash all of them, so I was able to just chain-stitch the squares to the strips of red. Quilted around the ornaments and echoed each square with gold metallic thread. Finished it up last night, and the customer was happy.

But wait! Here is the Amazing Thing: I took a short video of the runner to show how long ten feet is, and posted it to Instagram (I did hashtag Henry Glass Fabrics and the name of the fabric collection). And GUESS WHAT?!?!? The lady who designed the fabric saw the post and responded that she loved the runner, and that the ornament panel had been inspired by her great grandmother's Christmas tree. I am completely blown away. Her name is Jane Shasky - and her work is lovely. Anyhoo, here's the runner:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3320.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	1683536 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3319.jpg
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	1683537 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3323.jpg
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	1683538

Merry Christmas, dear quilty friends!

Re: The Ten-foot Table Runner and the Amazing Thing that Happened

So festive, and 10 feet is really long for a table runner.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

Originally posted by DeniseSm View Post
      So festive, and 10 feet is really long for a table runner.
      Turns out her daughter's kitchen island is really long.

Comment

What a wonderful runner and story to go with it!
        sigpic

Lorie

Comment

That is wonderful. I'm going to have to make an 8' runner for Dad's console. I love the idea of using panel pieces!

Merry Christmas to you and yours. I hope you get everything done!
          Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
          ― Maya Angelou

Comment

That's a gorgeous runner! Great thinking to use the panel. And what a great story about the designer!

Comment

Ten feet is long! I had someone who wanted a 14' Seahawks runner.....I turned down that request.
              pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Beautiful runner. I hope you were well compensated for the work.

Comment

What a great story and beautiful tablerunner!
                  Ginny B

http://www.ginnyscraftbasket.wordpress.com

Comment

Win win!!! Sometimes us quilters amaze our ownselves!
                    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

Beautiful fabric and beautiful execution. That is loooong.

Comment

You are an amazing quilter and inspired as well. The runner is beautiful and is sure to be loved by the recipient. Since you managed this project I am sure you will accomplish all your others. Congrats for being recognized by the fabric designer.
                        No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
                        Aesop

Comment

Beautiful runner. Amazing story and kudos from fabric designer.

Good for you, I would have turned down a request that close to xmas.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

Sally, sometimes everything comes together just at the right time. Love the runner & I agree 10 foot? OY!!! It looks like you spent a LOT of time on it. Great job!.

Gina

Comment

What a story to go along with the project. Nice table runner.

Comment

Working...
                              X