Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kaleidoscope Dreams pieced, Its a wowzer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kaleidoscope Dreams pieced, Its a wowzer!

This is from a pattern called Kaleidoscope Dreams. It is foundation pieced. This just may be the best quilt I ever pieced. I am going to save up my money and have it custom quilted. It has over 150 different batik fabrics in it (okay mainly from my scrap bins, but it still counts, right) Extra pictures because I am proud as punch.
    100_5327.JPG100_5331.JPG100_5332.JPG100_5333.JPG100_5334.JPG
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Re: Kaleidoscope Dreams pieced, Its a wowzer!

What is the finished size? I would love to see this in person! It's probably way prettier than the photos. Your work is so perfect. I guess you would have to call it supercalifragilistic--well you know the rest!!! Congratulations on your finish.

Comment

Absolutely beautiful!
      If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

Originally posted by jjkaiser View Post
        What is the finished size? I would love to see this in person! It's probably way prettier than the photos. Your work is so perfect. I guess you would have to call it supercalifragilistic--well you know the rest!!! Congratulations on your finish.
        Finishes 84 x 96
        Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

Absolutely stunning! You have every reason to be proud. Post pics again after it's quilted.

Comment

Gorgeous quilt......well worth custom quilting!

Comment

Wowzer , it is! That's beautiful, and complicated.

Denise, I have a question though: when a quilt is foundation pieced, are all the blocks done that way or just some? it looks like you got every point perfectly. Every flying geese is true. And the corner blocks, I don't know what they're called, just fabulous. Thanks for posting this.
              Last edited by Grey Lady; December 8th, 2019, 03:54 PM.
              Diana Grey

Comment

It is fabulous! I can dream of doing this one day.

Comment

It's stunning! Congrats! We quilters truly put our heart in quilts. That's why I love it here...not everyone understands. Love the pattern...

Comment

Amazing, challenge met with a glorious result, absolutely beautiful! Inspiring! It's wonderful. Please share again when you get it done.
                    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
                    ― Maya Angelou

Comment

Awesome, what a great accomplishment.
                      One yard of fabric, like one cookie, is never enough!

Beth aka Asta

Comment

Ooooooooh your quilts are always gloriously beautiful! This one is amazing! Glory Howdy Be, do get it custom quilted. This is a once in a lifetime kind of quilt!
                        Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

Wowser is right. This is a legacy quilt for sure. Do post your pictures once it is quilted.

It's been a pleasure to follow as you completed sections of your quilt. Truly amazing. Well done Denise.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

Originally posted by Grey Lady View Post
                            Wowzer , it is! That's beautiful, and complicated.

Denise, I have a question though: when a quilt is foundation pieced, are all the blocks done that way or just some? it looks like you got every point perfectly. Every flying geese is true. And the corner blocks, I don't know what they're called, just fabulous. Thanks for posting this.
                            Most of the foundation pieced quilts that I do are a combination of pieced blocks and foundation pieced blocks. You piece the easy blocks, like a log cabin, or a HST, and foundation piece the ones with weird angles and long skinny points. This is the first pattern I did where the instructions had you foundation piece everything. There was literally only one dimension given in the pattern. The author wanted you to foundation piece kaleidoscope blocks ( these are actually easy if you have the Creative Grids 60 degree ruler and use a good quality batik fabric), pin wheels (no I measured the foundation and then just pieced them), log cabins (heck no, I measured the foundation and then pieced them), even the flying geese. I have tried lots of methods of flying geese and have been getting really good results using the 4-At-Time method but this time I wanted to use up my scraps and make each geese from a unique piece of fabric (so the four at a time method would not work). So I said what the heck let me try foundation piecing two geese and see how it goes. I used freezer paper for the foundation because I hate ripping off paper. I can reuse each freezer paper foundation about eight times before it wears out. Darn if I didn't love the freezer paper pieced flying geese method. It only took me seconds longer to piece, I saved almost all the time back because the trim process went so much quicker, and I got flawless points. So the moral of the story to me was to keep trying new methods, even if you think you won't like them, because you may actually find a more enjoyable method.
                            The corner blocks are called a mariners compass. Foundation pieced they are no more difficult than the other blocks, they just take longer because there are more pieces and thus more straight lines to sew. I did accidentally trim the wrong line twice on the mariners compass block (human error, it was late, I was tired) but no big deal with freezer paper. I just seam ripped out the bad piece, and did it again. The freezer paper kept the bias edges of the good piece stable as I ripped out and replaced the bad piece.

With freezer paper I am mighty and fearless.

Comment

Award winning! Your work is always so nice.

Comment

Working...
                              X