Third T Shirt quilt for May

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Third T Shirt quilt for May

A number of my friends knew that I have made t shirt quilts in the past. All of a sudden, I had boxes of t shirts in the queue to be made into quilts! They aren't my favorite thing to make, but they turn out nice and the recipient's love them!

Here's my third one for May, a theatre friend's memories going back to the 80's. This is but a small representation of the shows she has been in. She is a very talented lady!

IMG_0891.jpg

Now that I have made about a half dozen of these, I have my formula on how I do them. If the customer wants something different, they need to find someone else to do it for them.

All of my blocks measure 12-1/2" by 13-1/2" . This encompasses at least 90 % of t shirt screen printed designs. For very small ones, I make a patchwork block combining the logos to make my standard size block. Sometimes an extra wide but short logo works better turned sideways. As long as my client is ok with that, I do it when necessary.

But the key to an easy finish is to not have a bunch of different size blocks. I also don't put blocks on the front and the back. I tell my clients with a lot of shirts to pick their favorites, because there is no way to put 75 shirts in a quilt!

I rough cut my shirt fronts first, ( or backs if they are more interesting!) interface with a lightweight fusible interfacing, then make my final cuts. I use my 12-1/2" ruler to cut the top and sides, then slide the ruler down one inch to cut the bottom edge. The ruler helps to center the design in the block.

12 shirts make a small lap quilt 16 or 20 make a large lap, 25-30 make a bed size quilt, up to a queen. I don't do kings as my quilt frame isn't big enough to quilt them.

I use jelly roll strips to sash, and use cornerstones to get everything put together squarely.

I may put on a border depending on if the quilt needs a border.

I've been using Minky for backings, and it makes a very cuddly quilt! Cuddly, but heavy.

I quilt mine on a long arm. No advice for quilting on a domestic machine!

Re: Third T Shirt quilt for May

Beautiful quilt and it sounds like you have a great system!!!

Comment

Love it! You've really got your technique perfected.
      If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

That looks fantastic. I've had several people ask me to make them a t-shirt quilt and I've quickly referred them to someone else. I just don't enjoy making them. It seems like you have a set way, which certainly makes it less time consuming. I like the way they can take it or leave it.
        Robin
        My Pinterest Page of the Quilts I've Made: http://www.pinterest.com/rwmomto3/quilts-ive-made/

Comment

For some strange reason, I do enjoy t shirt quilts. I will do them with or without sashing, but need to make them all fit together in either rows or columns. My daughter's quilt is the one and only I'll ever do with a large volume of different sizes that don't line up.

Comment

Thanks for explaining your system.
            Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

OH Shucks, I thought you made it for me, LOL! Great work, no wonder everyone wants one made by you.

Comment

Thanks for sharing this with us Jean. I'm making a t shirt quilt next, and this was helpful to me.

Comment

This is lovely. Sounds like you have a system that works beautifully. Well Done.

Comment

Working...
                  X