Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Productive Saturday

IMG_0877.jpg

Started this one Friday night, finished by noon Saturday! I backed it with chocolate brown Minky, and it is SOOOOOO SOFT!

This one is a gift to a friend I am working with on a two person show " Tuesdays with " Morrie", which she directed and I costumed. The gift was inspired by a stage prop quilt I made for Morrie, he wanted to keep his quilt as a memory, so I made one for the other actor and for the director. They are all very good friends of mine!

Then I quilted and bound this one!
    image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Also backed with Minky! I love this backing on quilts, so soft and cuddly! This quilting pattern and the double slice layer cake are my "go to" quilt patterns for fun and easy quilts for gift quilts!

Re: Productive Saturday

THey are great. Fast work and such good work
    Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
    Terry

Comment

You're really an "energizer bunny"! That's a lot of work done, and they're very pretty, too.

Comment

I love the soft colors of the yellow, grey and white.

Comment

I love the Double Slice!

The quilts are beautiful!
          Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
          ― Maya Angelou

Comment

So good to hear from you Jean! Of course in true GB style i LOVE the scrappy one!!!! I've yet to try minky for backing... must commit to that... mostly because "using up my stuff" is in the front of my mind... Just cannot imagine WHAT will happen with it all after i go
            "Each day well-lived and Happy;
            that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

Gorgeous quilts Jean, as always. Quick question. When you back with minky do you still need to use batting? Just seems like it might be a little thick.

Comment

Jean, that's a beautiful quilt and a fabulous reason to make it. You've found a way to memorialize the great experience of a theatrical production with a most meaningful momento. Really nicely done!

I'm as curious as Carol: Do you use batting when you back a quilt with Minky?
                Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

Jean your quilts are beautiful--They always are.
                  Now I'm adding my question about Minky. How do you pin it for quilting? Does it stretch a lot? I've not sewed with Minky, but know that I'd love the cuddly feeling of it. Thanks for posting and answering.

Comment

You are no doubt a machine. Wonderful and beautiful.
                    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

so pretty!! such a sweet lady!!
                      Mary
                      SW Missouri

Smile and the world smiles with you, frown and you frown alone.

Comment

Thanks for all the sweet comments! Yes I did use batting and the quilts are a bit heavy. And I quilt on a longarm, loading the Minky with the selvedges pinned to the leaders and not pulling the backing tight. It quilts up great, and the machine is fine with the bulk.not sure what advice to give on quilting with Minky on a domestic machine. It is stretchy, but not overly stretchy, so it should work out fine with regular methods.

And your quilting pattern shows up great on the Minky, but not the thread color! I used mauve thread on the brown one, you can't even see the thread buried in the pile of the Minky. I know there are thicker plush fabrics, this stuff isn't that thick.
                        Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; May 5, 2019, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GrammaBabs View Post
                          So good to hear from you Jean! Of course in true GB style i LOVE the scrappy one!!!! I've yet to try minky for backing... must commit to that... mostly because "using up my stuff" is in the front of my mind... Just cannot imagine WHAT will happen with it all after i go
                          Believe it or not, the scrappy quilt was actually made from a layer cake I found at Missouri Star. I visited my son's family in Iowa and drive by Hamilton. I resisted going in on my way up, but succumbed on my way home and found this collection in their vintage shop. It is very scrappy looking with some yarn dyed plaids in with the calicoes.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarGramma View Post
                            Jean, that's a beautiful quilt and a fabulous reason to make it. You've found a way to memorialize the great experience of a theatrical production with a most meaningful momento. Really nicely done!

I'm as curious as Carol: Do you use batting when you back a quilt with Minky?
                            All of my peeps loved their quilts! I was a little worried that one of the guys might not be a "quilt" guy! But he gushed on and on about how it will be going in his man cave dedicated to his love of the St. Louis Cardinals!

Comment

Gosh you have been productive!! They're lovely.

Comment

Working...
                              X