Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OK, Ryan, parental pride doesn't stop when they grow up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, Ryan, parental pride doesn't stop when they grow up!

So, my daughter, #1 child, has been an excellent craftsperson all her life. She embraced art in HS, grabbed on to Paper crafting and scrap booking in the 90's, played around a bit with the sewing machine, and went back to papercrafting, including doing amazing things with her succession of Cricut machines. Off and on, she would dabble with sewing. She did furniture upcycling, and was doing amazing business selling her pieces. She found that sewing could come in handy recovering chairs to match her furniture painting. One year, she wanted to learn how to make pillows, including putting in a zipper in a pillow cover. I taught her how, and true to form, she took off with this project! Then, she allowed as how she might like to play around with precut fabrics to make some simple quilts. She is a modern quilt maker, no fancy Victorian stuff for her! So, she started making more and more quilts. She took the plunge and bought a high end Bernina sewing machine to take the place of her cheap Singer I had bought her before she got hot into the craft! Now there is no stopping her! We share ideas about FMQing, stashes, rulers, equipment! It is all good!

Last fall, one of the guys she grew up with passed away at age 53. He always wore his signature Hawaiian shirts. So his widow asked Michele to make a memory quilt with his shirts. We had seen a Moda pattern (called Sunshine) last year that had darling pieced Hawaiian shirts as the block. We both fell in love with the pattern, and when this came up, we knew that was what had to be done with the shirts! She had a big learning curve to get proficient with accurate piecing, quilting with rulers, free motion quilting. It ended up so beautiful, and I know how much love and care for her friends was involved in its creation. Tears sprang to my eyes when I saw her finished project! I am proud of her accomplishments, proud of her willingness to memorialize her friend, and even proud that after 5 decades of being her parent she is finally listening to me and following my directions! As ai said before, it is all good!

IMG_0699.jpg
    IMG_0701.jpg

And these, too!
    IMG_0705.jpg
    Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; January 17th, 2019, 09:09 AM.

Re: OK, Ryan, parental pride doesn't stop when they grow up!

What an awesome tribute for her friend!

It's amazing what you can do when you set your mind to it. It sounds like she sets her goals and works diligently toward mastery. That's a lot to be proud about!
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Comment

What a wonderful tribute to her friend and great keepsake for his family.

Comment

What amazing details she has added to these memorial tributes.
        Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

That has to be one of the most well done memory quilts I've ever seen. She did beautiful work. You should be so proud, and isn't it wonderful to share your favorite hobby with her!
          Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Comment

Beautiful quilt! I agree, one of the best memorial quilts I've seen too. She's a chip of the block Jean!
            I am Sew Blessed!
            Alina

Comment

Excellent job! I can tell you are so proud.

Gina

Comment

Oh, Jean! They are a beautiful tribute to her friend. I love her free motion quilting and everything about them. I bet her friends family will just be speechless when they see the quilts.

Thanks, for sharing them with us
                Last edited by TMP; January 17th, 2019, 11:48 AM.

Comment

It's in the genes Jean!

Comment

That is awesome! Perfect use of the material and pattern and a really nice thing to make.
                    Loosely based on a true story.

Comment

A wonderful tribute. They're just beautiful.

Comment

Awesome job on the quilt! Your daughter's work is terrific!
                        "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
                        Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

Thank you for telling us about your daughter, Jean. It's fun to hear how she embraced the same things you love, all while putting her own spin on them. And that Hawaiian shirt quilt is amazing! My hubby has had to buy numerous Hawaiian shirts for when he's on business in Hawaii. His HI buddies had to school him about what is "tourist quality" vs. "business quality." Your daughter's friend definitely knew about "business quality" Hawaiian shirts.
                          Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

Thank you for sharing Jean. It is good to know that other women (like you_) get as much joy from your DD's creativity as from their own. I know I for one am duly impressed with the level of skills my DD"s have come to have. Remembering their first attempts a clothing construction makes us all laugh. They were so stubborn in listening to me on how to read a pattern. Now they out comprehend me in reading directions.
                            Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                            Terry

Comment

Boy, she really did embrace it. My son is starting to embrace sewing and quilting. Doesn't look like DD will ever get an interest, but who knows.

Comment

Working...
                              X