Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Grandma's Quilts

Here's a little story about this picture:

My Grandmother made many quilts in her lifetime. She passed away in 1991 and my aunt purchased these three complete tops at her auction. Fast forward to 2015, Aunt Bev gave me the quilt tops knowing she would never finish them. I purchased a bolt of white backing and batting and sent them to a lady to hand quilt. She never got to them so I had her daughter quilt them on her long arm. Last week they were complete so I set out to bind three quilts by Saturday. Yesterday I had my sisters over for dinner and gave them each a quilt. I placed them in bags and we drew numbers for the quilt we got. It was a great day to remember grandma, and my sisters were so thankful for everything that went into completing the quilts.

fullsizeoutput_1f74.jpg
    Robin
    My Pinterest Page of the Quilts I've Made: http://www.pinterest.com/rwmomto3/quilts-ive-made/

Re: My Grandma's Quilts

What a lovely story of the quilts. Glad they were finished and you each have a wonderful memory of her to keep.
    If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

Great story! I loved reading it.
      Cyndi

“Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.” - Victor Hugo

Comment

How wonderful is that! So special for you and your family.
        💫 Star lover

Comment

Keepsakes! Heirlooms! Music to all us quilters here. They are all so pretty. I am glad you got them finished at last. I hope you got one too!

Comment

Such happy memories!

Comment

They are all beautiful, what treasures! Wish I have a quilt my grandma made.

Comment

How nice that they were celebrated so wonderfully by you all
                Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                Terry

Comment

What a lovely legacy...the quilts are just beautiful. I love the old embroidered quilts. Thanks for sharing this, Robin.
                  sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Oh they are gorgeous! love them all. especially the hearts. at first i thought they were handkerchiefs! Beautiful.

Comment

Originally posted by Mom23 View Post
                      Here's a little story about this picture:

My Grandmother made many quilts in her lifetime. She passed away in 1991 and my aunt purchased these three complete tops at her auction. Fast forward to 2015, Aunt Bev gave me the quilt tops knowing she would never finish them. I purchased a bolt of white backing and batting and sent them to a lady to hand quilt. She never got to them so I had her daughter quilt them on her long arm. Last week they were complete so I set out to bind three quilts by Saturday. Yesterday I had my sisters over for dinner and gave them each a quilt. I placed them in bags and we drew numbers for the quilt we got. It was a great day to remember grandma, and my sisters were so thankful for everything that went into completing the quilts.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]150842[/ATTACH]
                      Oh Robin! This really brought tears to my eyes. Those quilts are a wonderful work of art! Look at the hand embroidery your grandmother did. That alone is beyond what most do! What a privilege and special treasure. So very happy you persevered! You're my kinda sis!
                      Sewing mends the soul.
                      sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
                      Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
                      ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

This is one of my favorite posts/threads to date! Maybe THE MOST favorite..What a wonderful idea and how inspiring to think that Grandma's quilts will live on. I love the idea of the LEGACY your Grandma inspired and I hope that all who were recipients of her beautiful quilts will treasure them.
                        A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

What a wonderful story about those quilts. A nice warm quilt hug for your sisters!

Comment

wonderful memories in those quilts! And they are gorgeous too!

Beth
                            Happiness is a FULL bobbin!

Comment

What a wonderful story and such beautiful quilts. I'm sure your Grandma is smiling. Isn't this what we all hope for our own quilts?
                              Last edited by Cokie; March 5, 2018, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X