Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dreamtime Stars

Hi All,
    Firstly, I'd like to say how lovely it is to be able to share pics of my work here and get affirmation. My 20yo son is apathetic, so when I make something, I don't get any feedback from him - so I come here and also to my facebook groups where I know you will all appreciate the effort to achieve things.

I'm also a serial topper.
    No sooner do I piece one top, whether or not it has borders, I'm ready to piece the next - or inspired to cut more fabric. This is my own design, inspired by not only the aboriginal fabrics, but by a small section of mini quilt that I saw in a book. The wonky stars leapt out at me, and the precut fabrics were screaming to be made into HST

So I sat down at my excel spreadsheet and drew out what I thought looked ok. I added some elements of yellow to highlight some of the accents in the otherwise black/white fabric. Then I had to figure out how to put it together. Because the stars were off-set, I couldn't just make 16 blocks and stitch them together. Oh no... I had to make this in 8 rows of three strips each.
    The first challenge was using a vintage damask tablecloth for the background. I have never been so close to running out of fabric. It's not as if I could run out and get matching fabric. Oh no. The pattern called for 2" squares, I saved a bit of fabric by identifying where I could put four together and instead of stitching, just cut a bigger square. The last of the 2" squares were cut out of scraps from the floor that had been pieced together.

I know there are many ways to make HST, but the best way for me to get consistent sized pieces, is to cut 2 1/2" squares on the diagonal and chain piece. I have a 1/4" foot on my machine, so feel confident. I then press and trim down each patch to a 2" square.

I intend to border this with some black fabric, not sure if I can get some of the original collection, with yellow faux piping and binding.

Thanks for looking. I'm feeling quite confident now with my own designs. Just have to find someone to gift them to. This would have been a nice baby blanket, but the damask turned out to be a bit harsh to the touch for my preference. But who knows what will happen when it's quilted?

I have very little leftover fabric, this will be pieced together for a small panel on the reverse of the quilt - just for fun.
    Thank you for sharing my journey. It is going to be quite hot today - near to 100f - so I may just piece some more, because that is what you do in hot weather - isn't it??
    Attached Files

Re: Dreamtime Stars

Quite creative! Very interesting pattern that you executed well. Congratulations.

Comment

Very cool.
      Just love everyone. I'll sort them out later. -God

Comment

It truly is nice to be able to share our pictures and get the positive feedback we all seek. COme often. Your quilt is beautiful
        success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiam
        Terry of NC

Comment

For some reason, I know there are other forum members from Australia but it just popped in my mind I had a pen pal (does any one remember those?) when I was in grade school. Her name was Mary Smith and I think her sister was Margaret and she was from Australia. With such a common last name I'm sure I would never be able to locate her but I do think of her often. I still have a cook book she sent me. Funny how a memory just pops in when your not expecting it.

Comment

Looks very nice ... glad you have that creative spark you are able to share with us!

Comment

Great job, love the little pop of color! Also enjoyed the "story behind the quilt".

Comment

How creative you are and your quilt is just beautiful! Thank you, for sharing it with us.
                Teresa
                Pelham, Alabama
                War Eagle!!!

Comment

What a great quilt!

Yes, I remember pen pals. I used to get a children's magazine that had a section for pen pal names & I wrote to several people. I always enjoyed getting mail. Occasionally people would send chain letters, but I never participated in those. Now with our instant electronics we can just forward items. I enjoy participating in this Forum where we can have cyber friends from all over the world, learn from each other, & care for each other when someone is going through hard times.

Comment

That turned out so pretty! Wow you did lots of planning on that I am so happy for you that you had enough fabric! I do not know excel or spreadsheets I would not know where to begin. If I can't draw it on paper I am lost. Congratulations on this great finish!!

Comment

That is a lovely quilt.

20 year old sons are always apathetic - don't take any notice.

Comment

I love it.

Comment

Congratulations! You've created something fantastic! I love it, it's beautiful.

Comment

Working...
                          X