Cactophile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cactophile

This year (well it actually started in the fall last year) I decided to join a $5 Block of the Month class again. Why not, after all, I still haven't finished the last $5 BOM quilt I started.

This class is at a different LQS so hopefully they will have all the fabric needed (the last one didn't which is why it is unfinished). There are three color palettes to choose from, Black & Bold, Southwest, and Grunge. I chose Southwest. And they also have an additional applique block too, but you have to pay $15 for that. I don't know why, but I am buying them too.

So I've been happily making my required block and sewing each before the next class. All is well. Now I've decided to tackle those applique blocks. And much to my surprise they are fun. Some need additional hand stitching, which has also been fun to do. It combines all of my skills - piecing, applique, and hand stitching.

These are the pieced blocks so far, I have one more to do. They are batiks and really hard to sew through. I changed needles too and it helped some, but I still get skipped stitches at times.
    block 1.jpg block 2.jpg block 3.jpg block 4.jpg

And here are the cactus appliques. I have two more to do. One is the Christmas Cactus and has a bunch of pieces to cut, which I'm not looking forward to.

Hedgehog cactus HedgeHog.jpg this is my favorite so far, because of the pretty colors

Queen of the Night cactus Queen of the Night.jpg

and the Prickly Pear Prickly Pear.jpg

Re: Cactophile

I love the colors! Really nice work on the applique!
    Lorie
    🌺Kauai🌺

Comment

Your blocks look GREAT! I'm glad you are doing the applique blocks. They will add such a nice touch to your quilt and the designs are really nice.
      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

That is going to be beautiful when all together.
        Wendy
        http://www.pinterest.com/wlrich2/boards/

Comment

That is going to be a gorgeous quilt, and I love those applique blocks!
          If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

Very nice!!! The colors are wonderful and I love your appliqué ❤❤
            Michele

Comment

That is pretty cool, great job!
              Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

These look great!! I can't wait to see the finished quilt, which will be beautiful

Comment

No wonder you signed up! Beautiful. Thank you for sharing.
                  💫 Star lover

Comment

Your blocks look terrific, Carol! I love the prickly pear!
                    Cindy

Comment

These are awesome. Such pretty colors and you are doing an amazing job on them. Looking forward to the finished product.
                      :icon_happy:Karen
                      Life is short - live it up while you can

Comment

Monique, I am all about Southwest, so these blocks and colors really appeal to me. Your applique cactus blocks will add such a nice touch and texture to your quilt. You blocks all look great so far. I will look forward to seeing your beautiful quilt when it's finished. How big is it going to be?
                        A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

So cute. Love the appliques.
                          Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

Wow!! Your blocks are beautiful. I am a big fan of batiks. I love the cactus, you did a great job!
                            I am a quilter and my house is in pieces.

Comment

I'm so glad I peeked in your posting. I really like the blocks and those appliques are darling. You are doing a great job. Can't wait to see the Christmas Cactus block. Keep up the good work.

Comment

Working...
                              X