Cactophile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cactophile

So far ... sew great! For some reason I always thought southwest meant tan, orange-ish brown and turquoise. This color palette is an eye-opener for me. Can't wait to see the finished quilt.

Comment

Oh that is goingvto be so pretty! I love the cactus!!,

Comment

Oh my, how ambitious. I love them all. I wish I had half of your tenacity.
        Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
        sigpic

Comment

They are beautiful. I love the appliques.

Comment

Thanks y'all. I'm really happy with the way they have turned out so far. Judy, I wasn't expecting batik fabrics to look Southwest, but they do.

Originally posted by cv quilter View Post
            Monique, I am all about Southwest, so these blocks and colors really appeal to me. Your applique cactus blocks will add such a nice touch and texture to your quilt. You blocks all look great so far. I will look forward to seeing your beautiful quilt when it's finished. How big is it going to be?
            I haven't a clue how large this will wind up being. It's a mystery, all we were given when we signed up was the three color choices and the first applique (which is optional). I think near the end of the program they will offer a layout or two, but again, that's totally optional.

Since the blocks are 12" finished and there will be 24 of them, I could work ahead and find a layout that will work for the blocks. I think I'll just wait and see what they come up with though.

Comment

I am so glad you chose to buy the applique blocks. They will make this quilt. I actually did not care for it much until I saw those. Great work.
              sigpic my goal is to be as good a person as my dogs already think I am

Comment

Finished a few more of the cactus blocks. I wasn't looking forward to sewing all the little circles on two of the blocks. But they were the reason I got out the Scan N Cut because there was no way I was going to cut nearly 100 circles!

Each of the blocks was a kit, so the fabrics were provided. I wasn't real pleased with the lime green and dark green contrast, but I suppose it's better than all the cactus using the same green fabric.

Blueberry cactus (it's real, I looked it up)Blueberry cactus (2).jpg looks like chicken pox to me

Cabeza de viejo cactus Cabeza de viejo cactus (2).jpg didn't like the yellow but it's a rare cactus

Cholla cactus Cholla cactus (2).jpg more silly circles, and some terribly thin stems.

Christmas cactus Christmas cactus (2).jpg

Saguaro cactus Saguaro cactus (2).jpg I probably should have made the flowers on top bigger, but no one will notice.

Turk's Head cactus Turk's Head cactus (2).jpg I'm really proud of the palm trees on this one, because I drew them freehand and stitched two different stitches that I had never done.

Comment

Oh be proud!! You've done some fantastic work....they're turning out so neat....thank you for showing us more!
                  šŸ’« Star lover

Comment

I love your cactus appliquƩ blocks! This is going to be beautiful!

Comment

I am fascinated!

Comment

Oh my word, Carol! Those appliquƩs are gorgeous! After seeing the blueberry cactus, I thing I want a pickle!! Can't wait to see this when it's done - I know it's going to be gorgeous!
                        Cindy

Comment

Very cool! That's a lot of work and your blocks are adorable.
                          A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

What a lot of work! Stunning results!

Comment

Those are awesome blocks! You do nice work! That quilt will be stunning when it's finished!

Incidentally, I've found that I need to switch to a smaller needle for batiks... normally I sew quilt cottons with an 80, but for batiks I go down to a 70 and it sews through the finer weave much better.

Comment

Your blocks are wonderful. I am really looking forward to seeing this quilt!
                                Diana Grey

Comment

Working...
                                X