Vintage Flower Blocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vintage Flower Blocks

So, I inherited a bunch of old quilt blocks from my Grandma after she died. Many of them were actually put together by either my great-grandmother or her sister, Aunt Emmy (who was blind). Amongst the quilt blocks were these Grandmother's Garden blocks, which I believe were pieced by my great-grandmother (who I'm named after). I wasn't really sure what to do with them, and the thought of hand piecing a bunch of hexagons does not really excite me. Jenny posted a tutorial several weeks ago on what to do with vintage blocks...and she used Grandmother's Garden blocks for her tutorial. When I watched it, I knew that's what I had to do. Over my break from work between the holidays, I was able to get my sewing room cleaned and rearranged. In the process, I found yards of white fabric, which I used for the squares. I just started this project yesterday, with ironing the flowers, and today and cut squares and got one block completed...it was really a practice, but it turned out well. I'm so excited to continue working on this project. I hope I do my Grandma and great-Grandma proud .
    Flower blocks.jpgPink flower.jpgFinished block.jpg
    Anita:icon_wave:

Re: Vintage Flower Blocks

They are beautiful! What a wonderful gift you have inherited. Talk about a timely tut!
    “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
    “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Comment

Heehee, I'm a little jealous. Nice blocks.

Comment

I am jealous too. You are doing such a good thing and its going to turn out Great. They would be so proud of you!

Comment

What a great legacy your Grandma left you. I believe she's watching over your shoulder as you finish this lovely family treasure and smiling big time.

Comment

A beautiful labor of love, can't wait to see them all together.

Comment

Aunt Emmy was blind? Imagine what she would have done if she was sighted.
              Preeti
              http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/

Comment

What a treasure! I can't wait to see what your quilt looks like once complete. I'm working on Flower Garden blocks right now and it is certainly a "labor of love".
                Robin
                My Pinterest Page of the Quilts I've Made: http://www.pinterest.com/rwmomto3/quilts-ive-made/

Comment

Yes, Aunt Emmy was blind. My great-Grandma would cut the pieces out and put them in the order they were to be pieced, and by feel, Aunt Emmy would stitch them. I'm told that in her younger days, she had a pretty perfect 1/4" seam, too! I do not think she pieced these, however, but I do have some blocks that she definitely did!

Comment

A real treasure. I am sure you will have many memories as you work on this project.

Comment

Aren't you lucky and they look to be in really fine shape. My grandmother used fabric that was already worn out and hence , most of the fabric has shredded over the years. And the timing of that tutorial was perfect. I'm glad you have the skills to do this. I did a grandmothers flower garden with 1 inch hexigons 35 years ago. Every stitch by hand. I rather enjoyed the process.grandmotherflowergarden.jpg
                      Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                      Terry

Comment

Originally posted by grammaterry View Post
                        Aren't you lucky and they look to be in really fine shape. My grandmother used fabric that was already worn out and hence , most of the fabric has shredded over the years. And the timing of that tutorial was perfect. I'm glad you have the skills to do this. I did a grandmothers flower garden with 1 inch hexigons 35 years ago. Every stitch by hand. I rather enjoyed the process.[ATTACH=CONFIG]139177[/ATTACH]
                        Wow! Your quilt is amazing!!!

I think the flowered fabric used in mine may have been scraps. I ironed them all with Best Press, because they were pretty wrinkly, having been in a box for who knows how long. This is a learning experience for me, because I'm still learning when it comes to sewing and quilting.

Comment

A project to be treasured. You're creating a great memory and doing your Grandma and Great Grandma proud. Brilliant.
                          HUGS,
                          Lenore

"I'm not crazy. My Mother had me tested." (Dr Sheldon Cooper)

Comment

I have been to antique malls looking for vintage blocks. Haven't found any YET!! Great job on yours, without Jenny's tutorial, I would never have thought to do this.
                            Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

So, I'm not a very fast sewer, mainly because I don't get to get in my sewing room every day. But, here's an update....last week, I finally finished the flower blocks, and on Sunday, I got the sashing cut and the first row put together!!
                              First row 1.jpg First row 2.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X