2nd NCW (all by myself)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2nd NCW (all by myself)

I wanted to make another NCW - this time I had to do it all by myself. The 1st one I started at the retreat and had the help of 5 other people! I also decided to try all kinds of new (to me) "enhancements" since I'm sooo experienced at making these. I only had to text Jean once....okay, maybe twice. She was very patient with me - thanks, Jean! Here's what I did and what I learned...

1. I made it bigger. I learned that this should probably wait until I actually know what I am doing. It took me 2 days to make the wallet and adjustments were needed for the inside pockets. You can't just increase everything by 1" and have it all fit. The zipper pocket could have been a little larger and the card slots were too big. It took a while to make everything 'fit'.

2. I used different fabric. I made the flap with cork and the body with flannel. I love both of these and would use them again - especially the cork. Plaid flannel is one of my favorite things in the world, so I love having a wallet made from it. How many wallets do you have that you want to cuddle with?

3. I made 2 zipper pockets. This just makes it so much more functional - love it and it wasn't that hard. I used Jean's tutorial and just stopped and started as I went. I did find myself telling her to slow down a minute - then I remembered I could just pause the tute.

4. I added zipper tabs. This helped a lot with sewing up the sides. All my future ones will have the tabs.

5. I added D-rings to make this a cross body wallet. They were simple to add but I haven't done the strap yet.

I need to make the strap today, but I'm not sure what fabric to use. I don't think the flannel would hold up very well on a strap and the cork is too expensive to use. I have some faux leather I may try. First I need to find a tutorial on how to make one.

IMG_1169.jpgIMG_1173.jpg
    Cindy

Re: 2nd NCW (all by myself)

You did a fantastic job! I love it! The cork/flannel combo looks great.

Comment

This looks fantastic ! The cork and flannel are a nice combo. You would never know this is only your 2nd one. Great job!
      sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
      Time spent with cats is never wasted.
      Sigmund Freud

Comment

Thanks so much!

Any ideas for the strap - what fabric would you use?
        Cindy

Comment

Love it! I haven't had the nerve to try one yet. You did great, can't believe it's only your second one.
          Lori

http://sewtimeforme.blogspot.com/

Comment

love it with the plaid fabric.
            Wendy
            http://www.pinterest.com/wlrich2/boards/

Comment

Originally posted by Lori63 View Post
              Love it! I haven't had the nerve to try one yet. You did great, can't believe it's only your second one.
              Go for it, Lori. It's not too bad.. I do hold my breath when it's time to cut into the flap, though
              Cindy

Comment

how about a thin chain for the strap? since it's on d-rings, the chain could be removed when you wanted. very nice wallet!
                sigpic

Comment

How awesome!
                  :icon_rolleyes:There are 3 kinds of men
                  The one who learns by reading
                  The few who learn by observation
                  The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence themselves
                  Will Rogers
                  :icon_shake:

Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. Harry S Truman
                  :icon_shake:

Imperfect action is better than perfect inaction.
                  :icon_giggle:

Comment

That turned out great. If you back the flannel with sf101 or pellon 809 and then make the strap I think your flannel will work fine. The interfacing will give it stability and added strength.
                    K is for Karen 😊​..................
                    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                    T - is it TRUE?
                    H - is it HELPFUL?
                    I - is it INSPIRING?
                    N - is it NECESSARY?
                    K - is it KIND?

Comment

You did an awesome job and only your 2nd! Took me a few before I was satisfied. I also think that a chain would look great, but Karen's suggestion for SF101 would stabilize the flannel. You could always add a strip of Decorbond or craft fuse to one side over the sf101 for additional strength.
                      Last edited by Sharyn J; December 28, 2016, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Wonderful job Cindy! I may just have to try one of these after all.
                        Beth

Procrastinate. It frees up time to quilt!

Comment

I love this one too. The flannel looks great. I have yet to make ANY of the bags, so kudo's to you for jumping in. Jean is an amazing friend that can do just about anything sewing related. Glad you had her to turn to.
                          Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by auntiemern View Post
                            I love this one too. The flannel looks great. I have yet to make ANY of the bags, so kudo's to you for jumping in. Jean is an amazing friend that can do just about anything sewing related. Glad you had her to turn to.
                            She is so gracious and patient!
                            Cindy

Comment

As I said on FB, it's fabulous!

I would make the strap from the faux leather. It can be interchangeable between other purses/wallets. Here is how I make mine.

First, remember if you use the faux leather, DO NOT PUT YOUR IRON DIRECTLY ON IT!! Trust me on this. If you want the strap to be 1", but a strip 4" x 54" (piece it if you have to). I take my chalk and on the wrong side, draw a line down the middle of the strap. Now you can either run some of your favorite double stick tape down each side, or using a pressing cloth, fold the edge of the fabric to the line and press the length in. You will now have a piece 2" x 54". Take this to your machine and fold again so it is now 1" wide. Stitch 1/8" from each edge, then 1/4" from each edge. Take your swivel hook and fold each end over about an inch thru the hook loop. Mark for your rivets and punch the holes and apply the rivets. I usually put a dab of glue in that area as well. You can also stitch it if you want.
                              pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Working...
                              X