Quilting with Rulers on LA or DSM - First Practice Sandwich

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilting with Rulers on LA or DSM - First Practice Sandwich

I've been doing FMQ on my DSM for 3.5 yrs. & my Baby Lock Tiara II for >a yr. I recently decided to challenge myself to quilting with rulers. I took Amy Johnson's class on Craftsy about how to use rulers with a DSM or sit-down LA. I've browsed her web site & blog & researched rulers. I have 4 rulers on order, but I bought this Quilter's Rule ruler at my LQS this week. Yest. I made 2 FQ-sized sandwiches, marked off some "blocks" with a Sharpie, & started practicing today. I haven't practiced all the lessons yet (still waiting for the curved rulers), but I was fairly pleased with these first attempts. It takes a while to get the hang of visualizing that 1/4" space between the hopping foot & the ruler, holding the ruler steady, etc. After quilting for a while, I noted fatigue & some tingling in my L. hand from holding the ruler, the sandwich , & moving it all at the same time. Definitely not something I'll be able to do for long periods of time. But with more practice, I think I'll be able to enhance my quilting skills.Ruler Work - Dec. 1, 2016 007.jpgRuler Work - Dec. 1, 2016 001.jpgRuler Work - Dec. 1, 2016 002.jpgRuler Work - Dec. 1, 2016 003.jpgRuler Work - Dec. 1, 2016 004.jpgRuler Work - Dec. 1, 2016 005.jpgRuler Work - Dec. 1, 2016 006.jpg Thanks for looking.

Re: Quilting with Rulers on LA or DSM - First Practice Sandwich

Nice work. Practice makes even more perfect, although I have to remind myself constantly that perfect isn't necessary!

Comment

Joy, those turned out great. I'm sure there's quite a learning curve with rulers.
      Cindy

Comment

Well Done! I especially like the pattern in picture #6

Comment

Very nice! I love working with rulers.

Comment

Looks complicated, too difficult for me. Yours looks fabulous.
            Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Looks like you've done an outstanding job so far!
              If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

Those look great! I have a Tiara too, and want to venture out tomrulers, but can't wrap my head around it. I keep invisioning striking the ruler with the needle and causing major damage to my machine!

Comment

your FMQing looks great. I am going to have to look up that ruler and get one - wish I had seen that before I bought some other templates. Thanks for sharing

Comment

Great work! Thanks for letting us know how you are progressing with this technique.
                    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

Joy, I SEW appreciate your post with the pictures. I have not used my rulers yet as I have other things going on, but you are inspiring me to make some sandwiches and try quilting a little. I am going to look at Craftsy and see about that class. I definitely need a visual lesson. Thank you for posting. What other rulers have you ordered?
                      A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

Joy, I just checked out Craftsy and purchased Amy Johnson's ruler quilting class. Bonus: today only buy one get one free so I also purchased a Leah Day FMQ class. What speed do you use on your Tiara?
                        A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

Wow Joy. I am impressed. I guess I will never progress to that level. Is there such a thing as not needing to get that good? I'm really content with what I'm doing but admire all the perfection that you all are learning.
                          Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                          Terry

Comment

You are doing fantastic!! It is a learning curve to move the ruler and fabric - looks like you will be a pro in no time.
                            ***Kathy***

Comment

Working...
                            X