Broken Orange Peel - Making a Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken Orange Peel - Making a Start

I decided to make Jenny's "Broken Orange Peel" pattern. It will be a cross between hers & the "Whimsy Garden" by Color Girl. I bought the template yest. at my LQS--also the Fons & Porter glue stick, which is water soluble glue & isn't supposed to gum up the needle. I drew a half-way line with a Sharpie so I could be accurate with the cutting. I'm using batik charms I've had in my stash. The background fabric looks plain, but it has tiny gold stars in it that are hard to see in the pic. I'm cutting my background squares 8.5". Three down; many more to go.First Snow - Orange Peel - Nov. 2016 003.jpgFirst Snow - Orange Peel - Nov. 2016 004.jpg

Re: Broken Orange Peel - Making a Start

I have been lurking around on this side (like all newbies) and have enjoyed, learned, and have allowed myself to have a bit of confidence in making quilts. We are in the process of moving from NW Indiana (outside of Chicago about 40 miles) to Prescott Valley, Arizona. The truck is taking the belongings there now and I will be meeting it on Wednesday. A lot has happened in just a few short months. My husband decided to retire on December 1st, 2016 instead of March 1st, 2017! Changes are hard to digest ... but on to a new adventure! Thanks for letting me join this group - such knowledgeable quilters and hope to acquire the skills! Here is my two cents on this quilt ...

Looks nice. I think I might try this pattern also.

Debbie

Comment

Your quilt is gonna be gorgeous!!

Comment

I like the colors!
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

There is no doubt it will be beautiful.
          Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Welcome to the forum, Debbie!

JCY, I like your fabric and think the size square you are using is perfect.
            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Welcome Debbie. JCY - Great looking squares so far.

Comment

Joy, i think that's a good size for the background for this quilt. It's going to be beautiful.
                Cindy

Comment

I LOVE the colors and like the flow, too....it seems each side connects to the next color...really going to be so pretty!
                  Barbara
                  http://www.etsy.com/shop/CraftySweetPeas

Comment

I think it will be really pretty.

Comment

I've made several more blocks already. I think I've made 15 & have 5 to go. I'm going to make it 4 across by 5 down. I discovered I had all sorts of batiks in my stash. I was using from some charm packs, but then I looked through my 4 sets of layer cakes & found more fabrics that blended. I'm using primarily purples & teals. Once I got the hang of it, the blocks are going together rather quickly. It's a bit tricky sewing around the point with the blanket stitch. I've already decided on sashing fabric, but I don't have enough in my stash. I'll wait until Small Business Saturday next week & see if my LQS has any sales on fabric.

Comment

I think your fabric choices are lovely.

I started one of these also, using up some scraps, but had to put it aside to work on a Christmas gift quilt that I finally received my fabric order for.

Can't wait to see your finished quilt.

Comment

Looks nice. Good idea
                          SandyWhite
                          Ocala, Florida
                          http://handpiecing.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                          X