My Simple Life Quilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My Simple Life Quilt

Sylvia that is a gorgeous quilt!!! Love the colors and fabric choices.......and the quilting really brings the whole thing together.
    Sandy B.
    "A heart that gives will never be empty."

Comment

Sylvia, in your inner border is a leaf design (looks like a leaf). Did you do something continuous, or is each individual leaf done in three passes, and then you moved on to another leaf? Hope I am making sense.
      A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

Originally posted by cv quilter View Post
        Sylvia, in your inner border is a leaf design (looks like a leaf). Did you do something continuous, or is each individual leaf done in three passes, and then you moved on to another leaf? Hope I am making sense.
        Yes, you are making sense. Each 'leaf' is three passes. I went down the middle, up the right, and then down the left. Sometimes it is hard to see the line you are trying to echo, and these directions worked best for me. I have used this a few times on my narrow borders.

I got this design from the beginning lines of McTavishing. I am adding a link to a McTavishing video in the hopes that it will also give you a visual of what I did. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp34yI9SUeY
        If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

The colors are so rich. Nice quilting, too. I love everything about this quilt.

Comment

Love it! Pretty.

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia H View Post
              Yes, you are making sense. Each 'leaf' is three passes. I went down the middle, up the right, and then down the left. Sometimes it is hard to see the line you are trying to echo, and these directions worked best for me. I have used this a few times on my narrow borders.

I got this design from the beginning lines of McTavishing. I am adding a link to a McTavishing video in the hopes that it will also give you a visual of what I did. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp34yI9SUeY
              THANK YOU! Will watch the youtube. I really like this one. I just finished a small quilt for a friend with a narrow border, and not real fond of the design I did. It's OK, but I sure like the one you did. Thanks. I probably have already seen your posts about which BL machine you have, but don't remember. I know you did your quilting on a DSM, and kudos to you, but wondering which one you have. I am partial to BL products. I just want to get good with my Tiara.

Comment

Lovely! I really like the fabric choice!

Comment

THANK YOU! Will watch the youtube. I really like this one. I just finished a small quilt for a friend with a narrow border, and not real fond of the design I did. It's OK, but I sure like the one you did. Thanks. I probably have already seen your posts about which BL machine you have, but don't remember. I know you did your quilting on a DSM, and kudos to you, but wondering which one you have. I am partial to BL products. I just want to get good with my Tiara.
                  Something I really like about this design is how you can take it around the corners of your borders. I have more success with the curvy and spiral designs. I still don't like the way my feathers turn out, and rarely do them.

As to my BabyLock. It is called a "Quilters Choice". I bought it in 2010, and it was being phased out at that time, and I don't know the name of it's replacement - and I think the replacement has also been replaced by this time! The harp is just under 8", so it is tight going when you are quilting the middle of the quilt. I would love to have a Tiara - but I don't think my retirement budget could support that purchase.

Now for some history on my machine. I bought it, not knowing anything about "new fangled" sewing machines, as I hadn't touched a sewing machine in 30 years. My sister and I wanted to start quilting, and through a series of happenstances, we ended up each buying the same machine. We also bought service agreements (thank goodness!). I had the machine serviced regularly at about every 6 months. After about 3 years, I took the machine in for servicing, and was told that the machine had separated from the motor, and they had never seen anything like that before. They were able to fix it, but were not sure how long the fix would last. So far, it has lasted another 3 years.

But, in explaining all this to me, the owner of the shop told me a few more things about my machine that I wasn't told when I bought it. First, my machine was designed primarily for piecing. As the owner told me - "this machine was not made to have a quilt pushed through it. (My thought - a novice quilter thinks quilting is quilting. I didn't know, at that time, the big difference between piecing and quilting.) It was listed at $3000, the purchase price was $1999. This was a big expense for me. I thought the "Quilter's Choice" could do everything I needed it to do! Lesson learned - i should have done more research before buying the machine. A new quilter's mistake.

The next thing I learned, and this is something everyone should check into, my machine had a lifetime expectancy of 25 years - based upon it being use 7 hours a month!!!!!!! Hello? Even those who can only quilt on the weekends usually quilt more than 7 hours a month. I was easily using it more than 7 hours a week. This really floored me, and I still think it is deceptive advertising.

My sister, who bought the same machine, did not have this problem. If fact, her machine survived a house fire, and after a good cleaning, it is working just fine. She also, now has the Symphony, which is a sweet machine.

More to my saga - Through a raffle, I was a recipient of a Bernina 350. A small machine that retails for about $500. It is definitely a piecing machine, and it pieces better than my BabyLock. I absolutely love using this machine, but except for small items like placemats, I can't use it for quilting. There just isn't enough harp space.

I also have problems threading the BabyLock - I usually have to thread it about 5 times before it makes a good connection between the top and bottom threads. Several times, I have spent an hour rethreading!

And sew, that is the end of the tale.
                  If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

Oh, this quilt looks so comfy, snuggly and warm. It's beautiful! Fabulous fabrics.

Comment

Sylvia, Oh My Goodness! What an incredible tale! I am amazed that your repair man for your machine was able to fix that machine of yours and keep it working for yet another 3 years!! Do you have a BabyLock dealer close by who is also your repair person? Did you talk to your dealer about the problem? Just wondering because that sounds like a huge fault in the machine that might have been replaced by BabyLock. I have had BabyLocks for years, first the Elegante Embroidery/Sewing machine. Loved it! No problems, I had the three year bumper to bumper and the dealer I bought it from is local and took very good care of it. I then bought a used Elissimo because someone, actually 30 ladies bought the Destiny and they were all selling their Elissimos and sold my Elegante. I still have it and love it! Every now and then I'll have a minor problem (mostly my error or a thread shred) but Phil (my dealer) is close by and I can get things working again rather quickly. I also have an Enlighten serger and, though I never even wanted one, I now really like it and use it a lot. Amazing what I can do with it. I finally sold my Bernina Quilters Edition Virtuoso 60 and went with the BabyLock Elizabeth. I am very fortunate because I never went to buy any of these machines. My husband, Fred, has encouraged me all the way and has actually pretty much pushed me to get them. I am enjoying each of my machines. The last one was the Tiara III and he has started looking at them since the first Tiara I came out and was put in the showroom at Central Sewing, the BabyLock dealer. I finally broke down on the Tiara after a couple of years of Fred pushing me on it because there is a 12 month interest free financing on it. I am making some quilts that will be charity quilts. There is a definite learning curve on it and I sure hope I get good at it so I can feel like it was worth the investment. I was not aware of the 25 year life expectancy of these machines based on 7 hours of use a month. I agree with you that that is unrealistic and deceptive. I think I'll ask Phil about that. I use my Elissimo and my Elizabeth a lot, and am in the process of using my Tiara quite a bit. I love what you can do with your Quilters Choice. You are very talented. With only 8 inches of throat space, you do amazing work! I am so sorry about the problems you had with your machine. I hope that you are able to continue using it and maybe you'll get fortunate enough to be able to get a machine that you have confidence in. I would hate to think that your talent and beautiful quilts will not continue.

Comment

Sylvia, Oh My Goodness! What an incredible tale! I am amazed that your repair man for your machine was able to fix that machine of yours and keep it working for yet another 3 years!! Do you have a BabyLock dealer close by who is also your repair person? Did you talk to your dealer about the problem? Just wondering because that sounds like a huge fault in the machine that might have been replaced by BabyLock. ... I was not aware of the 25 year life expectancy of these machines based on 7 hours of use a month. I agree with you that that is unrealistic and deceptive. I think I'll ask Phil about that. I use my Elissimo and my Elizabeth a lot, and am in the process of using my Tiara quite a bit. I love what you can do with your Quilters Choice. You are very talented. With only 8 inches of throat space, you do amazing work! ....
                        I bought the machine from, and have the service contract with, a BabyLock dealer! Not only that, this man does some design work for BabyLock. He designed a new walking foot, a combo of a 1/4" foot and a long foam guide (not worth it!) and the last I heard he was working on something for their stitch regulator so you didn't have to have both hands on it while FMQ. He never mentioned sending it back to the factory, and, unfortunately, I never thought about that either.

About the 25 year guarantee. That is for my particular machine. The guarantees, and the number of hours per month, may be different with different machines. But it is certainly something to check out.

Thank you for your compliments, I appreciate them!

Comment

Lovely quilt!
                          Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Comment

What a beautiful quilt! I love the warm feeling I get by looking at it! I'm particularly fond of those pretty houses and I love all the red, warm yellow and black.
                            What a great job with your quilting!
                            My blog (when I will be able to keep it updated): http://juliasdreamabout.blogspot.it/

Queen of Quiltgard

Lover of Scraps

Comment

Oh Sylvia, I love your quilt; it's terrific and thanks heaps for the link to the fmq....loved it and have it bookmarked for a return visit!
                              just4me
                              Last edited by just4me; November 14, 2016, 05:24 AM.

Comment

Wonderful quilt Sylvia! Your FMQ is just awesome!!
                                ***Kathy***

Comment

Working...
                                X