Photos from the Houston Quilt Festival 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Photos from the Houston Quilt Festival 2016

I didn't take many photos while at the quilt festival but here is what caught my eye. There were so many beautiful quilts and many I did not see.

I didn't take any of the big winners, but they can be seen at http://www.quilts.org/winners.html

This one was very interesting to me. The fabrics are so different, but it works (to me at least).
    2016-11-05 15.44.54.jpg

A winner in it's category. Tiny strips. I thought - now I could do this. Ha!
    2016-11-05 15.45.35.jpg

Beautiful applique work. Lots of dresdens and fans in a variety of layouts.
    2016-11-05 15.45.42.jpg

A great log cabin, but look at the edge/binding! Dresden fans!
    2016-11-05 15.46.00.jpg

A trio of beauties. I am a tree lover though, and it was a category winner.
    2016-11-05 15.50.18.jpg

Love this tree quilt, but so many pieces!
    2016-11-05 15.50.32.jpg

Another tree and a beautiful flower.
    2016-11-05 15.50.41.jpg

This lovely quilt was in the vendor section.
    2016-11-06 10.50.05.jpg

Back in the quilt show....this quilt is ragged on the vertical columns.
    2016-11-06 13.48.57.jpg

More trees from teeny tiny pieces
    2016-11-06 13.49.07.jpg

Re: Photos from the Houston Quilt Festival 2016

Thanks for posting these. That tree is incredible!!
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

More of what caught my eye at the festival....

A vendor booth. Each of the wall hangings is a kit of squares that you fuse onto a grid and sew 1/4" seams. I didn't like the method, but I do love the designs.
      2016-11-06 10.46.39.jpg

Back in the quilt show. Small strips.
      2016-11-06 13.50.02.jpg

This guy was huge!
      2016-11-06 14.11.53.jpg

Made by the same person who made the alligator (or is it a crocodile?) There were some awesome wildlife quilts.
      2016-11-06 14.12.11.jpg

Millefiori quilts - gosh they are pretty!
      2016-11-06 14.13.10.jpg

A net and some funky fish, but the background is interesting.
      2016-11-06 14.13.29.jpg

I love love this double wedding ring!
      2016-11-06 14.14.23.jpg2016-11-06 14.14.34.jpg

It seems there is always a Currier & Ives type snowy town quilt.
      2016-11-06 14.14.26.jpg
      Last edited by snippet; November 8, 2016, 09:42 PM. Reason: remembered the name - Currier & Ives

Comment

A bird's eye view of part of the vendor area. It shows aisles 100-900, but the aisles continue to 2400!
        2016-11-06 14.39.13.jpg

Sunday afternoon. Not very many people, but it was wonderful to move around and shop!
        2016-11-06 14.39.30.jpg

A view of the rest of the vendor area. I wish I had the time, money and legs to visit them all.
        2016-11-06 14.39.53.jpg

Comment

Wow some awesome pieces. I do like the skinny strips quilts.
          Karen
          Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

Thanks, Carol. I was hoping someone would post pictures. The quilts are gorgeous! The tree quilts are my favorites.
            "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
            Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

Thank you for sharing, enjoyed looking at them,

Comment

Thank you for posting pictures for those if us who couldn't attend! Although now I feel like a total underachiever!!
                Brenda. :icon_wave:

Comment

Some of these I remember, others I guess I missed. I'll try to get mine uploaded off the camera later this week. It was great seeing you again.

Comment

WowoWOW, Carol! These are amazing. Thanks for sharing - so glad you were able to go!

Comment

Thanks for posting these, Carol. Looks like you had a great time there. Love the crocodile!
                      Cindy

Comment

Please don't judge the show based off of my photos. There were so many different quilts there - traditional pieced, applique, painted, etc. I just snapped these because they caught my eye, but I also ran out of time to view all the quilts there. Don't think the quilting world is going too modern or too applique or whatever. There was a lot of variety in the exhibits.

I have learned that looking at these quilts makes me very humble in the piddly stuff I make. But I'm not a competition quilter, and there is a place for my work in this world. It's just not on a wall with white gloves and bright lights.

Comment

I'm not judging the show - I have never been to a quilt show. I would like to go to one someday. Maybe by the time the Expo comes around again I will find someone to go with.

As far as the types of quilts, I like seeing what others come up with. I am just starting on this journey so I like seeing all of them. Some techniques I will never attempt, and others are inspirational. I appreciate you taking the time to post the pics.
                          Cindy

Comment

Originally posted by seaturtle View Post
                            I'm not judging the show - I have never been to a quilt show. I would like to go to one someday. Maybe by the time the Expo comes around again I will find someone to go with.

As far as the types of quilts, I like seeing what others come up with. I am just starting on this journey so I like seeing all of them. Some techniques I will never attempt, and others are inspirational. I appreciate you taking the time to post the pics.
                            I wasn't pointing fingers at anyone when I posted that! I'm sorry if anyone thought so. I just noticed after posting all the photos that many of them were very different from the traditional piecing I am familiar with. So they are skewed to what my sister calls 'weird and tiny piece quilts'. LOL There were so many others that were more traditional. Even then, they were WAY beyond my skills!

Comment

Going to a quilt show, to me, is like going to an art museum. At the museum you can find oil and watercolor paintings; stone carved figures; tapestries and metal sculptures. Much the same diversity in the styles of quilts.

I can find a lot of pictures of traditional quilts so I really understand how the artistic quilts would be more intriguing and appreciate seeing them! Thanks for sharing the pics, Carol.

Adding: I went to a quilt shop that was selling 1" strips (I think it was by-the-pound) and couldn't understand why a shop would have them available to purchase. After seeing some of those tiny piece quilts I can see how they can be used. I learn something new every day!
                              Last edited by Judy, USMC; November 12, 2016, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X