Disappearing 9-Patch Quilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disappearing 9-Patch Quilt

The D9P is by far one of my favorite quilts to make. It's just so easy and super fun to put together. I made this lap quilt using a Larkspur Layer Cake by 3 Sisters for Moda. I bought the layer cake as a DD last year and couldn't figure out what to do with it. I wasn't even sure I liked the colors. One weekend I was bored and decided to grab the layer cake and make a D9P. I ended up really loving the colors.

I also saw a tutorial on making a narrow flange, so I figured I'd try that on this quilt.

The flannel backing was purchased last year from a store that had gone out of business and it just happened to match the colors in the quilt.

I had my local long-armer quilt it for me.

For beginner quilters, the D9P is definitely a winner.

20161004_143355smaller.jpg 20161031_083818smaller.jpg
    20161031_083743smaller.jpg

Sheep Farmer by day....sigpic....Quilter-in-Training by night
    The Farmmyfarm

Re: Disappearing 9-Patch Quilt

It's lovely and inspiring too. I have a layer cake that is similar colors as yours and I've been wondering what to do with, and now I'm convinced, D9P is the way to go with it.

Comment

That is lovely! That fabric line is perfect for that pattern. The backing...how cool is that that it matched the front so well !!!!! I think I might have a Tonga batik layer cake.......never have known what to do with it. Not sure it would work. I have done two D9P and they both turned out so nice and were so easy. Thanks for sharing your beautiful quilt.
      A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

It really turned out quite lovely!! I had a mini-charm pack of that line and made a simple table topper and I love it (and so did my sister who confiscated it).
        ***Kathy***

Comment

Love your quilt and the colors! Perfect color line for this. I agree that the D9P is a fun pattern and always gives excellent results. Your LA quilter did a beautiful job. Great job!

Comment

Love your colours. I'll have to remember to try that pattern.

Comment

Soooo pretty! Love your quilt. Love the colors and the pattern. Great Job.

Comment

So pretty! Love the co.ors and everything else about it!

Comment

What a lovely quilt! I've made 2 D9P quilts. I have 5" squares cut out for another one. Yours turned out so nice! I'm curious to know how you laid out your squares? They must have been all laid out in the same arrangement to come up with this particular pattern.

Comment

Beautiful! Looks like it should be on the cover of
                    a quilt magazine!

Comment

I love the colors, really looks comfy.
                      Gary,

"No regrets, only learning opportunities."

Comment

Originally posted by JCY View Post
                        What a lovely quilt! I've made 2 D9P quilts. I have 5" squares cut out for another one. Yours turned out so nice! I'm curious to know how you laid out your squares? They must have been all laid out in the same arrangement to come up with this particular pattern.
                        It's laid out the same way as Jenny does in her tutorial. I think mine looks different because it's scrappy. I didn't want all the smaller squares to match. But I wanted the smaller squares to look different from the larger squares, so I used the larger prints from the layer cake in the large squares and the small print fabrics in the small squares.

Sheep Farmer by day....sigpic....Quilter-in-Training by night
                        The Farmmyfarm

Comment

That turned out very pretty and fall-looking. I like making D9P, too. They come together so quickly.
                          Cindy

Comment

Your quilt us beautiful! Thanks for giving me the idea to try one.

Comment

I love it! Love the colors and I definitely love the D9P for its versatility of layout patterns! Bet that backing is uber soft and cuddly!

Comment

Working...
                              X