X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• amartin24
    replied
    Re: One for me and one for you

When I first saw this post back in November, I knew I wanted to make one of these umbrellas for a dear friend for Christmas. We just got together last night for Christmas. She loved the umbrella I made her. The Friendship saying I wrote in her card. I bought the umbrella kit at Nancy's Notions. For fabric, I googled "border fabric" and found this one I love. It's January....you can make one now for next Christmas!IMG_8242.JPGIMG_8243.JPGIMG_8244.JPGIMG_8245.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Patty J
    replied

Did you answer this question and I missed it? Are these umbrellas water repellent or water resistant? Can you spray them with water repellent that you use on hunting clothes?
    Your umbrellas are simply too cute for words. What fun that would be to make one. Thanks for sharing.

Leave a comment:

• amartin24
    replied

Love your umbrellas! Thanks for posting - you just gave me a great Christmas gift idea for a friend! I got the pattern and umbrella frame from Nancy's Notions.

Leave a comment:

• giig21
    replied

That is so cool.

Leave a comment:

• mcs80013
    replied

I am impressed. That tablecloth fabric looks fabulous on the umbrella. Well done. I'm jealous. I've never seen a class like that advertised around here.

Leave a comment:

• BethB
    replied

Your umbrellas are beautiful - especially the one made from the table cloth. About a year or so ago, a quilt store in Lancaster area offered the umbrella class. I was intrigued but was not able to take it because of previous commitments. I keep checking their website, but have not seen it offered since. If they do offer the class again, I will be one of the first to sign up. It looks like it was a fun class.

Leave a comment:

• grammaterry
    replied

Okay my dear, I love the umbrellas and I think it would be cool to make one, but I probably won't. Mine would be wonky and I would have to keep trying until I got it right and oh my, that would make me tired.
    Now, drama King was a lucky man that he decided to hit on a wonderful moral woman as of yourself. perhaps you gave his marriage new hope. As for you, the right one will come along when you least expect it. You can't imagine how many men there are out there that yearn for a wonderful woman that is strong and independent but they too have been hurt and really aren't able to approach you. But , you will bump into each other with Gods help and life will go on. In the mean time, go ahead and be a super mom...I've been one for 50 years and I take on more projects than I should, but it keeps me young. Just do the things you love and love will bring you the things you need.

Leave a comment:

• laura44
    replied

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the umbrellas!! Great job!!!
    As for doing too much for everyone else, my husband
    always says " If you never say no, what is your yes worth?"

Leave a comment:

• Anna Leigh
    replied

Originally posted by snippet View Post
    Your umbrellas are beautiful! I love the tablecloth one, the fussy cutting really paid off and looks fantastic!

My LQS has had an umbrella class before. I don't know why, it hardly rains here. I think they did it as a little 'quilter's rain dance' thing.

Have you seen that umbrella that folds weird , sort of inside out? It looks like it would be very useful. Everytime I see the ad for it, I think about making it in a different fabric.
    No I have not, but that would be cool. Also with the sun in Texas, I would use it more as a parasol than for rain.

Leave a comment:

• auntiemern
    replied

Absolutely beautiful. Another one that didn't realize one could make their own umbrellas. Each one is spectacular. Do take time for yourself. A light bulb won't shine once it is burned out. So keep on shining.

Leave a comment:

• Anna Leigh
    replied

I agree it sounds exhausting. In all honestly, it's just temporary. Football season is 10 weeks, college is 16 weeks, and I had gotten a promotion at work that I was try like hell to avoid. Being a single parent, I could no longer put it off that promotion or pay raise. I went from being a housewife with a lot of time on my hands, to divorced, to this life. My daughter is a junior this year and well, there is only one more year left to go after that. I don't see myself coming back to doing photography at the school after she graduates. Unless they ask because my youngest niece will still be there. I guess I have more of the mentality of the WWII generation of just do. Which I got from my grandparents. Since my episode I listen to my body. I missed out on the game last night because I felt another episode coming on. Crazy as it sounds it wasn't started by all the work. It was brought on by drama. I had gotten an indecent proposal by one of the dads. He asked me if he was a single man with his wife out of the way, would I go out with him and do I find him attractive. I have known his wife since high school and they have a lot of kids. Not being vain I really don't find this dad attractive at all. Even if he was available, no absolutely not happening. That is a whole ball of wax I don't want to get into. I could not get over the fact that he would want to that to her and me. So I spent the last two days convincing this dad that his wife really does love him and told him what she says about him. He told me that he never hears those words from her. He apologized for his indecency.

Leave a comment:

• snippet
    replied

Your umbrellas are beautiful! I love the tablecloth one, the fussy cutting really paid off and looks fantastic!

My LQS has had an umbrella class before. I don't know why, it hardly rains here. I think they did it as a little 'quilter's rain dance' thing.

Have you seen that umbrella that folds weird , sort of inside out? It looks like it would be very useful. Everytime I see the ad for it, I think about making it in a different fabric.

Leave a comment:

• seaturtle
    replied

Anna Leigh, thanks for posting that info - off to look!

Leave a comment:

• jjkaiser
    replied

Those are so pretty! I had no idea you could actually make an umbrella! Just reading about your life makes me feel tired, you seriously need to find more time for yourself!! I get so crabby when every minute of every day I have to be somewhere or do something!!

Leave a comment:

• Anna Leigh
    replied

Originally posted by LauraP View Post
    Where do you get the frames? My extended family would love these. Is there a pattern available?
    Yes. The frames and patterns can be found at Umbrella Joan http://umbrella-joan.myshopify.com/c...ons/all?page=1. She has the regular 48" umbrella, a child's umbrella and a doll (American Girl size) umbrellas.

To get it all done in one day it takes about four to six hours. And you will need a sewing machine that has a zigzag stitch and it is possible to use a serger.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X