Farmer's Wife 1930s Sampler Quilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farmer's Wife 1930s Sampler Quilt

I completed my FWSQ 30s quilt top piecing and sashing today! Whew! I joined a FB group September 2015 to do a sew-along making the 99 blocks from Laurie Hird's Farmer's Wife 1930s book .. I made double the blocks the group was making over 9 months and quit at about 115 blocks. The center layout has 63 of the 6" blocks sashed in Kona silver solids plus colored triangles to form subtle stars; the outer border of 36 blocks are sashed with fabrics used in each block; the layout is both squared and on point; it is 84"w x 102"l .. I used 1930s reproduction fabrics plus a few vintage flour sack fabrics; now to decide on how it will be quilted

Because the blocks are so busy and intricate [some of the 6" blocks have over 80 pieces] I am planning on having it long-arm quilted in a larger pattern. When I quilt I use a QAYG method and I don't plan to tackle the quilting of this one myself. Ideas on quilting?
    Attached Files

Re: Farmer's Wife 1930s Sampler Quilt

While I can't help with quilting ideas, i had to stop in and say "WOW"! Your quilt is amazing.
    Diana Grey

Comment

Agree, no idea about quilting, but this is spectacular! Job well done.
      Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
      it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Congratulations on your wonderful masterpiece! You deserve a medal for sticking with it. I would love to see it in person. Also I agree with you on sending it out to be quilted.

Comment

Can't help with quilting ideas,but your quilt is awesome. Congratulations on your tenacity 80 pieces per some blocks is mind boggling. Kathy
          All quilts cat tested and approved.
          sigpic

Comment

Wow, wow, wow. It's amazing. I would probably go with a classic central medallion accenting that red area in the center and feathers just in the sense that it is a retro, classic work.

Comment

Amazing quilt! You did great.

Comment

Gorgeous. What a beautiful quilt. I would go with a classic, traditional quilting motif. The baptist fan is the first motif that comes to mind.
                Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

Nice. Thanks for sharing. I have started one myself....I'm only about 40 blocks into the project - many more to go.

Comment

I love how you sashed each block so each stands on its own! I have 2 of these in process.....one in original 1930 fabrics and one in more modern tones.....but each is just about 2/3 done or so.......I put them away and need to get back to it. I loved making these tiny blocks! I was thinking of sashing them so I loved seeing yours. I would love to do custom quilt work on each block, but I have to complete it first.

Comment

Absolutely amazing that you have been working on this for so long and it is FINALLY finished. You must be feeling a little lost now that it is done. In the 30's the fan was a popular quilting pattern. So many to choose from. Just choose your LA carefully. It would be a shame tohave someone mess it up at this point. I'd have trouble letting go of it into someone elses care.
                      Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                      Terry

Comment

Can't help with the quilting but just to say that is amazing!!!

Comment

I think others have said it exactly - WOW! Nice job.

Comment

I've no ideas about the quilting but WOW what a beautiful quilt. Great job!!!

Comment

What an ambitious project! Well done!

Comment

Working...
                              X