Hourglass in Catalina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hourglass in Catalina

I finally finished this 2 year old UFO, it's my biggest one to date measuring 71x87. I was a bit apprehensive to quilt it because of it's size. I was super proud of myself when I finally got it done. So, imagine my surprise and horror when I washed it for the first time and it bled like a stuck pig! Most of my whites were fine, it was just the printed squares that turned bright pink. I used one color catcher but didn't think to use more since the fabric its self wasn't red. I ended up washing it two more times, using a fuller tank of water and four more color catchers. It helped tremendously but not 100%. I think now I'm the only one who would notice the difference but it just amazes me that quilting fabric could bleed like that when you think about the time and money put into these things. (The first photo is before washing, the second is after and you can see it's pink when before the whites were exact, and the third is all the color catchers I used.)
    DSC_0566.jpg DSC_0579.jpg DSC_0580.jpg

Re: Hourglass in Catalina

So disappointing but glad you were able to get most of it out. Pretty quilt.

Comment

It's so pretty! I love the hour glass pattern. I have one cut out somewhere in my mess. lol

I did a color catcher experiment on some red fabric. After reading that some put three in at a time I did one at a time to see how well they worked. I looks just like your last picture.
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

Color catches are cheap. I always use two the first time I wash a quilt, no matter what color the fabrics are. Sometimes I go through 4 wash cycles and eight color catchers. sometimes only one wash cycle.
        Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

Very pretty - glad you were able to remove the dyes. I usually start with 2 color catchers and go from there.
          Cindy

Comment

Your quilt is beautiful, I just looked at your albums you do amazing , you certainly have an eye for putting colors together. I really want to save some them for inspiration. Thank you for sharing

Comment

Beautiful quilt. Glad you were able to remove most of the bleeding.

Comment

Working...
              X