X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sylvia H
    replied
    Re: Xmas Tree Table runner - quick last minute gift

Very nice! If I have the time, I think I am going to make one for my own table.

Leave a comment:

• SallyO'Sews
    replied

I did one of these for a craft fair a year or two ago - such fun, and they came out so pretty! I love yours, and the background fabric is perfect! Great job!

Leave a comment:

• Yanna
    replied

Came out beautiful.

Leave a comment:

• GrammaBabs
    replied

Great story,,, Great runner... sometimes my best projects are last minute and plan as i go.... you hit this one dead on... Thanks for sharing)

Leave a comment:

• laura44
    replied

Turned out great! I'm sure it will be appreciated!

Leave a comment:

• DeniseSm
    replied

Looking good.

Leave a comment:

• klgls
    replied

Great looking runner - and very creative for you in a short amount of time!

Leave a comment:

• amartin24
    replied

Nice job! Doesn't it feel good to put your mind to something and get it accomplished? I operate under pressure that way too much!

Leave a comment:

• Bubby
    replied

That turned out so nice. I'm sure your boss will love using it.

Leave a comment:

• bronnyb
    started a topic Xmas Tree Table runner - quick last minute gift

Xmas Tree Table runner - quick last minute gift

Monday night I realised that I needed to have a Christmas Table Runner ready to hand to a boss who was leaving work, as Tuesday Lunch was the last opportunity to hand one over. I had promised to make him one earlier in the year when he helped me out, and he was a good egg and deserved a gift.

So at 6pm I dug out my tub of Xmas fabrics, then went to find Jenny's tutorial, so I had an idea of colour values that would suit the pattern. I selected 3 green and 3 red value fabrics, some I know I've had in my stash since the early 80's. I didn't let the fact that I did not have a template bother me. Watching the tutorial, I saw how Jenny placed the 10" triangle template on the fabric and thought ... well, I'll start by making my own 10" squares... Of course now, I know I could have sped up the process by about 40 minutes had I skipped this bit. Basic geometry reared up and slapped me in the face and I made myself a paper template. This worked a treat, so trim, cut snip... and I found myself with 12 triangles and then needed to cut the 3.5" strips for the base of the trees and the scrappy trunks..

By 9pm I had pieced the top, then came the great 'what fabric for the back?' debate...
    A decision was reached and I really need to get myself some more of the batting... iron on and just the right thickness for a runner. Spray baste the backing and off to the machine for some simple ditch quilting.
    I feel pleased with myself because after ditch stitching, a simple wavy line to suggest tinsel trimming on all the
    trees... (oh how I am in Luurvve with my walking foot!)

11pm and it was ready for the binding. A short discussion with myself and a quick strip cut and iron... and the binding was ready. I was running out of time to hand stitch the binding on the back...what to do??? Back to the laptop and another Jenny Tutorial to show me that I CAN machine stitch the runner. I picked a simple wavy pattern and changed the floss to a pretty variegated variety... whoosh!

12.10pm and everything was finished. Thanks to Jenny's tips, I enjoy binding and feel they look so much neater than my first quilts.

I remembered to take a couple of clear photos before handing the runner over on Tuesday. I posted to my facebook page and am amazed at the reaction from so many people. I want to make more, using the leftovers because I didn't use all 12 triangles... Going to cut a few more and make at least one more of this pattern.

Thanks for looking and sharing my stitching journey.
    Attached Files
Working...
X