Xmas Tree Table runner - quick last minute gift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xmas Tree Table runner - quick last minute gift

Monday night I realised that I needed to have a Christmas Table Runner ready to hand to a boss who was leaving work, as Tuesday Lunch was the last opportunity to hand one over. I had promised to make him one earlier in the year when he helped me out, and he was a good egg and deserved a gift.

So at 6pm I dug out my tub of Xmas fabrics, then went to find Jenny's tutorial, so I had an idea of colour values that would suit the pattern. I selected 3 green and 3 red value fabrics, some I know I've had in my stash since the early 80's. I didn't let the fact that I did not have a template bother me. Watching the tutorial, I saw how Jenny placed the 10" triangle template on the fabric and thought ... well, I'll start by making my own 10" squares... Of course now, I know I could have sped up the process by about 40 minutes had I skipped this bit. Basic geometry reared up and slapped me in the face and I made myself a paper template. This worked a treat, so trim, cut snip... and I found myself with 12 triangles and then needed to cut the 3.5" strips for the base of the trees and the scrappy trunks..

By 9pm I had pieced the top, then came the great 'what fabric for the back?' debate...
    A decision was reached and I really need to get myself some more of the batting... iron on and just the right thickness for a runner. Spray baste the backing and off to the machine for some simple ditch quilting.
    I feel pleased with myself because after ditch stitching, a simple wavy line to suggest tinsel trimming on all the
    trees... (oh how I am in Luurvve with my walking foot!)

11pm and it was ready for the binding. A short discussion with myself and a quick strip cut and iron... and the binding was ready. I was running out of time to hand stitch the binding on the back...what to do??? Back to the laptop and another Jenny Tutorial to show me that I CAN machine stitch the runner. I picked a simple wavy pattern and changed the floss to a pretty variegated variety... whoosh!

12.10pm and everything was finished. Thanks to Jenny's tips, I enjoy binding and feel they look so much neater than my first quilts.

I remembered to take a couple of clear photos before handing the runner over on Tuesday. I posted to my facebook page and am amazed at the reaction from so many people. I want to make more, using the leftovers because I didn't use all 12 triangles... Going to cut a few more and make at least one more of this pattern.

Thanks for looking and sharing my stitching journey.
    Attached Files

Re: Xmas Tree Table runner - quick last minute gift

That turned out so nice. I'm sure your boss will love using it.
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Nice job! Doesn't it feel good to put your mind to something and get it accomplished? I operate under pressure that way too much!
      I am Sew Blessed!
      Alina

Comment

Great looking runner - and very creative for you in a short amount of time!
        ***Kathy***

Comment

Looking good.
          Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

Turned out great! I'm sure it will be appreciated!

Comment

Great story,,, Great runner... sometimes my best projects are last minute and plan as i go.... you hit this one dead on... Thanks for sharing)
              "Each day well-lived and Happy;
              that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

Came out beautiful.

Comment

I did one of these for a craft fair a year or two ago - such fun, and they came out so pretty! I love yours, and the background fabric is perfect! Great job!

Comment

Very nice! If I have the time, I think I am going to make one for my own table.
                    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

Working...
                    X