T.G.I.F. - and a long story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

T.G.I.F. - and a long story

Have you ever had that one quilt that just made you crazy, fought you the whole time, where everything went wrong, and then when you were finally finished you were proud of this beautiful creation that you made?

yeah well, this isn't that story. I started this top about 3 years ago. I was starry eyed and full of hope. I had new packs of charm squares and thought, "I will make HST's!" So I proceeded to draw lines on my squares, then foolishly sewed ON the line with about half my stack. So go back and add two more sew lines and then cut them all apart. When I started this adventure I was young(ish) and carefree (and a bit naive). I assumed that my precuts where actually 5in square. Surprise, NOPE! Well, after ironing, rearranging, and finally deciding on a pattern I start sewing my squares together. Why oh why is this not matching!! you guessed it, I skipped the "squaring up stage". So I forged ahead stretching and scrunching until I had a quilt top. I then fought every urge in my body to not throw it away and I put in on the UFO shelf. Fast Forward to now and I am trying to clean up and finish things. Pull the top out and yep, it looks as bad as I remember. I plowed ahead and decided to just finish it to see what will happen. I made my sandwich, started quilting (straight lines with walking foot). I hear a clunking sound. Well crud, bird nest on the back side. Changed bobbins, needles, top thread, cleaned, turned machine off walked away for a day, still making noise. I can only assume this nightmare quilt has messed up the timing. Get my old machine out of the closet and get it finished. Dig around in the drawer and find every scrap piece of black binding I can find and piece them all together, because I didn't want to cut new. Get it all finished and it is a bit of a train wreck. Tucks, folds, bubbles, and lost points! So I gave it to the only member of my family that would love and cherish it and wouldn't see the mistakes! You guessed it, I gave it to my blind dog who is about the turn 13. I have no shame!! Emily will share it with her lifelong companion Freckles and their new friend Lily. Thank you for listening to my story!

IMG_2325.JPGIMG_2328.JPGIMG_2330.JPG
    Melissa

I really hate it when the voices in my head argue among themselves as though I wasn't even in the room.

I tried to be normal once......worst two minutes of my life.

Re: T.G.I.F. - and a long story

Looks like a wonderful comfy quilt and looks like it is already loved. Great work. Loved your story
    Karen
    Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

Long story short....
      Started out badly, but end result was as planned "lovely and loved".
      Happy ending that I can relate to. My struggle quilt also was given to my old girl, Maggie. I learned a lot of lessons with that one.

Comment

You sure know how to tell an entertaining story! I think it turned out fine but since you didn't like it, it was nice you gifted it to your dogs, they seem to love it . So you got a happy ending after all and so did they.

Comment

Awwww....so sorry for all the trials with this quilt, but I'm with the dogs....they got the goldmine in this quilt! They KNOW they were waiting for THE RIGHT QUILT to come along. This quilt is worthy of their love and their love for you will only grow because of this gift you've shared with them.
          Barbara
          http://www.etsy.com/shop/CraftySweetPeas

Comment

Ahhhh... Your quilt is already loved! The canine crew will definitely enjoy it...and you can rest assured that the quilt eill be happy, too..

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

The colors are striking and I don't hear the recipients talking about tucks, puckers or lost points. I just hear them saying"Melissa worked so hard on this quilt. We are so happy to have such a beautiful place to rest and take a nap. We love it!".

I'm glad you finished this quilt and can see it being used and loved everyday. Hope your machine is ok though.
              Ginny B

http://www.ginnyscraftbasket.wordpress.com

Comment

What precious dogs you have! I love the quilt and I loved your story!
                Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Comment

It looks pretty to me. Alls well that ends well.
                  Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

Perfect!!!!! Love it!!!!!!
                    Happy Quilting!

Comment

PS,,,, yes... I have had more than one quilt that did not want to be made... Fought me at every turn.... Not fun...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

Emily and Freckles are adorable on their quilt together. I'm sure they love their soft and snuggly quilt. That quilt did fight you tooth and nail didn't it? I've had a few quilts that misbehaved as I made them. So glad this quilt is finished and in good hands or I should say paws.

Comment

Melissa, if it makes you feel any better, I did the same thing with the half square triangles, except I didn't realize I was supposed to sew next to the line until after my 2nd trip to buy more fabric! I searched for the lost triangles for weeks because I knew I had cut the right number of squares, as I had counted them twice. And I hadn't just sewn on the center line, but had trimmed away the excess. Couldn't figure out why they had me wasting so much fabric. Well, that top was finally finished more than a year ago, and is still waiting to tell me how it should be quilted. Glad your friendly dogs can enjoy yours.

Comment

I love the colors and pattern!

Comment

Working...
                            X