Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My first completed UFO this year!

Very cool! I really like the back too!
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

That's such a nice quilt. I love both sides!! Congratulations on the finish.....I know how good that feels.
      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

That is so neat. I guess I'm going to have to try a JRR along the way

Comment

Very cool quilt!! I really like this.

Comment

Love both sides! I'm so intimidated at piecing my backs.
            sigpicCarolyn

Comment

Originally posted by CarolynK View Post
              ..... I'm so intimidated at piecing my backs.
              Me too! This back was easy. I applied a design for a 9" quilt block to fat quarters and 'almost' fat quarters. With the 'almosts', I added some bits and pieces to make the blocks large enough. What was important was to get both the back and the top centered. I baste on a table, and I have a basting pin taped to the exact center of the table, so I know where to place the centers.

Now - I did a quilt last year where the backing wasn't large enough, and I decided to add a border to make it the right size. That was a failure, as the border ended up very crooked. I won't try that again! At least not for a long time!
              If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia H View Post
                Me too! This back was easy. I applied a design for a 9" quilt block to fat quarters and 'almost' fat quarters. With the 'almosts', I added some bits and pieces to make the blocks large enough. What was important was to get both the back and the top centered. I baste on a table, and I have a basting pin taped to the exact center of the table, so I know where to place the centers.

Now - I did a quilt last year where the backing wasn't large enough, and I decided to add a border to make it the right size. That was a failure, as the border ended up very crooked. I won't try that again! At least not for a long time!
                Thanks so much for the reply. I had a quilt and the backing material was too small and wanted to piece it but just couldn't get up the courage. I think I may try piecing a back on something smaller.
                sigpicCarolyn

Comment

Originally posted by CarolynK View Post
                  Thanks so much for the reply. I had a quilt and the backing material was too small and wanted to piece it but just couldn't get up the courage. I think I may try piecing a back on something smaller.
                  Here is another pieced back. The trick here is that the inserted piece is not centered. I joined blocks that were left over from the quilt top.

1st_quilt_backing.jpg
                  If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

Thought these were two quilts :-) Both gorgeous
                    Preeti
                    http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X