Anyone read Chichewa?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone read Chichewa?

It's the official language in Malawi. My church supports the Abundant Life Center in Lilongwe. We send a mission team every year to help and we support their feeding program, which feeds over 2,00 kids every day.

When I made that Cowboy Ten Commandments quilt earlier I thought about doing it in other ways. Doing it African style popped into my head. I found a jelly roll with authentic African fabric online. I had to ask Moses, the leader of the Abundant Life Center, to send me the verses in his language (I didn't know what their language was) and then it was a matter of putting it all together.

It's really a bright quilt, more like the second photo. I think the sun was in the camera lens and messed up the first photo.

2016-06-29 15.04.45.jpg 2016-06-29 15.05.00.jpg

I'm going to give it to the lady who organizes the mission trips. I don't know if she will keep it, sell it to raise money, or give it to Moses in Malawi. I do know it will go to a good home wherever that may be.

Re: Anyone read Chichewa?

That's just beautiful! I have some good friends who met while teaching school in Malawi a few years ago. They married and now are expecting their first child. I'm making a baby/child quilt for them and will incorporate African fabrics for the backing. The front is a picture of the African continent. It's made up of two inch squares and I'm hoping that my seam allowances stay consistent as there are 1330 of them to sew together!

Comment

That is amazing, Snippet, and a very generous donation. I'm sure it will bring blessings wherever it lands.
      Cindy

Comment

Wow! Very nice work and generous of you.

Comment

Wonderful quilt...great job!
          Carol

Sewing Mends The Soul ~ Author Unknown

Comment

That is an amazing quilt. I'm particularly impressed that you used authentic African fabric. Amazing!
            Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

Just stunning
              Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
              Terry

Comment

So awesome, Carol! I love your quilt!

Comment

What a thoughtful quilt ,beautiful too!
                  :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

Carol, that is a stunning quilt. So bright and happy. Whoever gets it, will surely love it.
                    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                    sigpic

Comment

Wonderful job, Carol. What a blessing to whoever ends up with this!

Comment

The recipient is going to feel VERY special! What a wonderful thing to do ... And it's so creative.

Comment

Working...
                        X