Izzy's First Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Izzy's First Project

Yesterday, I supervised as my step-granddaughter made an insulated bottle holder. Izzy only had a few hours experience on a sewing machine, so this was a big step for her. We used the instructions in Angela Walters book -"Get Quilting with Angela and Chloe". (I think that is the right name of the book.) Izzy also learned how to thread the machine, how to change needles, and how to correctly place a bobbin in the machine. She did the piecing for the outside, quilted the layers, sewed the side and bottom seams, and made the handle. I helped with the sewing in the really bulky areas.

Her next project is a Double Slice quilt that she is making for her father and step-mother (my daughter). She selected a layer cake that I had, and I made the first cuts for her. I think the quilting will be difficult for that size of a quilt, but I will help with the bulkier areas, and she will be able to do the rest. As Izzy says, "I love the walking foot!" This girl is definitely a "go big or go home" personality.

Sorry for the sidewise picture - it shows up the right way in my files, so I don't know how to fix it for this forum!

IMG_1169.JPGIMG_1171.JPG
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Re: Izzy's First Project

Sounds like you two had a wonderful time together. She is adorable. Great job on the bag.
    sigpicAnita G.

Comment

She is a cutie. Looks like you two had some great bonding time. Wait until her friends see what she made. She'll be wanting her own machine soon.

Comment

Very nice! More projects to come i am sure!

Comment

How wonderful that she wants to learn and has a loving grandmother to teach her!

Jeannette

Comment

How wonderful is that!! Sure looks like you two had a wonderful day. She did a great job on the bag and I give her high marks for wanting to tackle a quilt. You'll have to keep us posted on her progress. How old is Izzy? I am trying to get an idea of age and interest in quilting. I'm thinking my two little granddaughters have a few years to go before that will, if at all, happens.
            Gerri

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Comment

I love it. So nice that she is interested and nice to share your love of sewing/quilting.
              Grandma Nan

sigpic

Nancy

"Some of the best memories are created in flip flops"

Comment

It looks to me like its time to drop the step and just be the grandma. Kids don't know the difference and adults don't need to know. Your love is shining thru like a true grandmother. I had one too, so I know. I never thought of her as anything but the real deal.
                Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                Terry

Comment

How sweet is that, learning to sew and a wonderful bonding experience between the two of you. I'm sure that will be the envy of her friends and they'll want those cool bottle holders too.
                  If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

Izzy is a real protege. Go Izzy.
                    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

What a cutie pie! Looks like she done a great job and the 2 of you had a wonderful time. Looking forward to her next project.
                      sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                      Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                      Sigmund Freud

Comment

That is so great you are doing this with her. Kids often have no fear of mistakes and just jump in head first.

Comment

She is cute as a button. I love the way she's peering through the handle. Looks like you're getting her off to a good start, Sylvia.
                          Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

How sweet you can make happy memories for both of you. She is adorable and looks very proud of her creation. Great work!

Comment

Awesome work. She will love making a quilt. Cheers for the next generation keeping this wonderful craft alive.
                              Karen
                              Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

Working...
                              X