quilt looked better in my imagination than in real life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quilt looked better in my imagination than in real life

Finished this quilt top last night, and I'm really not happy with it. It was a great idea in my head, but then when it all went together, it just didn't work. Has that ever happened to anyone? This is the first thing I've made that I haven't been happy with. I'm pretty new to quilting, so I guess I just don't have a good quilters vision yet.

too-bright-quilt.jpg

Re: quilt looked better in my imagination than in real life

Yep. I am working on one right now. Everything I do with it, I just don't really like. But I'm bound and determined to finished it, it's been a UFO for six months.

Your quilt is going to be fine. I like the colors. Once it's quilted and bound you will probably like it again. The vision is still there, it just needs finished.
    Diana Grey

Comment

I think even more experienced quilters will admit that occasionally they have a quilt that just didn't match up with their vision. I know I have! Sometimes it just happens. Keep on quilting.......some things take time to learn and when it doesn't quite meet your ideal....it will still bring warmth and love to someone.

Comment

All the time!!!,,, i just re work,,, making a table runner or using another color... but i never say "die"...)
        "Each day well-lived and Happy;
        that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

That happens to all of us. Finish it up and go on to something that makes you happy.
          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

That has happened to me more than once. I usually use them for charity quilts, as said above, it will keep someone nice and warm.

Comment

I see a child in that quilt's future. Bright & cheery even though it didn't turn out as you imagined it would. Look at the practice you've gotten. The piecing looks very good and that's an accomplishment in itself.

Comment

I think it is a happy quilt. If it were mine, I would add a solid color border all around it. That would provide a good background to rest the eyes.

Comment

I've got one too. It's been sitting on my UFO pile for about a year now. I will use it for something. Don't lose hope!

Comment

If you are not pleased with it can you take it apart and rearrange the squares. If you moved the center row to the middle would it help. Quilts are so special and the colors really work well for a child. Maybe just get outrageous and put a couple of bold colorful borders that don't match around the outside. Say green on top, red on one side, yellow on the other and Orange on the last and a blue binding. I do not see a problem with the quilt and like it a lot more than I like a lot I see.
                    sigpic my goal is to be as good a person as my dogs already think I am

Comment

I think every quilter at one time or another has felt their quilt looked better in their mind. I know I've been down that road a few times. I hope you'll finish it and then perhaps if you still don't care for it perhaps you can gift it and consider it one Christmas gift completed way ahead of time!
                      If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

Yep.... I just finished a small quukt top that was better in my head than in reality.... It happens to just about everyone...

I do, however, love the gorgeous colors you put in your quilt.... Color is my fav thing...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

I have had that happen, too. Made a quilt in yellow and brown and just hated it when completed. I sold it on Etsy -- good riddance -- to a shop in Australia who probably sold it to someone who LOVES it!!! You just never know. I love the colors -- very bright and pretty and you did an amazing job. Keep going girl, you got this!!!

Comment

Yep.. that could be a thread all on it's own. "Quilts that made me cringe"... I have one. We all have one.

Yours isn't that bad. It looks like a kids quilt. Plenty of color. The one I have... is on a shelf I can't even bring myself to unfold it. LOL.

It's shameful.

Comment

I know just what you mean. I am working on table runners now and I keep pulling out the seam ripper and changing and changing

Comment

Working...
                              X