Clamshells

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clamshells

I've been absent for awhile because I've been recovering from a spinal fusion. But I'm ready to go, and finally took a pic of this finished lap quilt. I know I'm not supposed to worry about what can't be seen from a galloping horse, but I'm once again disappointed with my finish. I feel like I take a beautiful top and ruin it with my quilting. Anyone else have this problem?clamshells.jpg

Quilter's Rules:
    #1 Buy fabric - no matter how much you already have.
    #2 Sew all day and all night - no cooking allowed.
    #3 Start a new quilt before the last one is finished - must return to #1.

Re: Clamshells

Your quilt is lovely and I can't see your quilting. Must be just fine. Nice job. kathy
    All quilts cat tested and approved.
    sigpic

Comment

Gorgeous quilt and a great job, I can not see your quilting but congratulations

Comment

Like you, I am trying to improve my attitude about my quilting skills. I look at the quilting others do and think I should be doing better. I look at quilts I made a few years ago and think how much better I could do at quilting the same quilt now. I am making a sincere effort to change this attitude and stop comparing myself to others. I want to enjoy the process, do the best job I can while enjoying the process (meaning not go crazy and drive myself nuts trying to overreach) and keep learning and improving. My skills are noticeably improving, and I am still having fun.

I will keep repeating this until it sinks into the core of my being.
        Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

Yes Denise, I often look at older quilts and wish I could rip out the quilting and redo it. But I will make a more concerted effort to give myself a break. Thanks for the pep talk!

Quilter's Rules:
          #1 Buy fabric - no matter how much you already have.
          #2 Sew all day and all night - no cooking allowed.
          #3 Start a new quilt before the last one is finished - must return to #1.

Comment

I love your quilt - all those colors are beautiful. I can't see your quilting but I am sure it is just fine. Your quilt looks puffy - maybe it's just the clam shell design that makes it look that way but to me it looks soft and cozy.
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
            http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
            http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

How could you possibly think you ruined it. It is absolutely beautiful. Congratulations on the finish and keep on sewing.
              success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiam
              Terry of NC

Comment

Your quilt is beautiful! Is it hard to sew the clamshell pattern?
                :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

Originally posted by sewmuch2learn View Post
                  Yes Denise, I often look at older quilts and wish I could rip out the quilting and redo it. But I will make a more concerted effort to give myself a break. Thanks for the pep talk!
                  Oh, with a good seam ripper and some meth you could! ;-)

Comment

I love your quilt and I understand your feelings. There is a quilt on my sofa and I really thought about ripping the quilting out and do it better. But that's crazy, that was the best I could do at this point and that's ok. Don't be too hard to yourself, I am sure the quilting is lovely! Did you use the quick curve ruler for this pattern? I will join a class in two weeks, we will learn the clam shell pattern there, sewing curves is really a challenge for me ! Your curves are looking perfect
                    Find me on Instagram @auntie_uli

Comment

I like your quilt.

Comment

Beautiful work! It is warm and bright. Give yourself a break you did a great job with a very hard pattern.

Comment

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE YOUR CLAMSHELL!!!

I think it looks fab!
                          I have some quilt tops that I am saving for when I am a better quilter as well.
                          But do not despair, and leave that quilting there! It looks awesome to me!
                          Happy Quilting!

Comment

Your clamshell quilt is beautiful! I think it looks terrific, but I can't see from your photo what you mean about your quilting ruining it. It looks fine, so it meets that galloping horse standard! I understand what you are saying though. I'm not happy with my quilting either. I'm taking steps to learn more, but FMQ is slow going for me. Stick with it!

BTW so sorry to hear you needed a spinal fusion, and I sure hope you are happy with your surgical outcome.

Comment

Oh wow how beautiful!!
                              Cathryn

Comment

Working...
                              X