cathedral window old and new

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cathedral window old and new

]I just wanted to post my grandmothers cathedral window and my first attempt at doing one.. She made 4 of these in 1966 to give one to each of her children. When my father passed 20 years ago, his wife gave me his. I looked at it for 20 years trying to figure out how to make it. One of my daughters, bless the internet, taught me how.
    Last edited by grammaterry; January 18, 2016, 07:53 PM. Reason: picture
    success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiam
    Terry of NC

Re: cathedral window old and new

Great job! They both look beautiful
    Karen
    Spring, TX

Comment

Very nice indeed.

Comment

It was a lot easier than I imagined. I gave it to my daughter. It was a kingsize
        Terry of NC

Comment

OMGeeeeee, this is BEAUTIFUL!! Actually, BOTH of these are beautiful! I really like the way you made your's with the color "waves". Please, please share how you did this? I've fancied this one for about 3 lifetimes it seems, but never have taken the plunge....you're helping to push me to the end of my excuses.
          Barbara
          http://www.etsy.com/shop/CraftySweetPeas

Comment

They are both beautiful! And what would we do without our kids to surf the net for us!

Comment

Beautiful!!!!

Comment

They're both beautiful! I'd like to learn the traditional method of making these.
                :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

Two stunningly beautiful quilts!!
                  sigpicAnita G.

Comment

Just wonderful! Was yours made by hand or machine? I have seen them both ways.
                    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

They are both absolutely beautiful.
                      Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Great job, so beautiful!
                        Shirley :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

Love both! This is one of my favorite patterns!
                          Lori

http://sewtimeforme.blogspot.com/

Comment

I made mine on my machine. My grandmother used both the machine and handquilting. There are lots of downloads out there and I am sure they will explain better than I can, but you start with a large square of white cotton (I think I used 9 inches , my grandmother probably 7" although, I didn't take it apart.)
                            Fold the square so that you have no raw edges into envelope type triangles (see this is where I am not so good at explaining). Then, take all the squares and unfold one of the flaps and sew all of them together into one big quilt with envelope flaps, flapping. The back will look like squares. Then, place a 2-2 1/2 inch square into the center of each envelope and turn the edges of the envelope around the square (it will arch itself). This is the part where my grandmother sewed each piece in place by hand and that was what was so beautiful. I used my machine and had a valiant effort that I felt okey about. At the time, my hands felt pretty stiff and I wasn't confident I would ever finish it by hand. I am going to try again someday wth a totally handquilted one.
                            The year I finished this quilt, I also made a wedding ring quilt and a pinwheel and gave them to my children as Christmas gifts. When the Cathedral Window came out of my youngest daughters box, my son said, "oh my, you've really stepped up your craft".
                            I was notably proud but also felt bad that I didn't have one for each of them.
                            Terry of NC

Comment

Working...
                            X