"The Modern Garden" Quilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"The Modern Garden" Quilt

I put the finishing touches on The Modern Garden quilt today. It is my guild challenge quilt that I'm entering into this years contest. We were provided two ugly fabrics and allowed to use six other fabrics for the top.
    Dimensions had to be within 80-100 inches all around. Mine measured in at 98 inches and will probably shrink a bit once it is washed so I squeaked by. It is all machine applique, machine quilted and my own design. The theme was "The Birds and the bees and the flowers and the trees". I managed to get two of the four worked in there so that's good. Overall I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

It will be auctioned off Nov. 2012 at our quilt show and all proceeds benefit the quilt guild.

I found working within the dimensions difficult and hard to plan for. I had to work out my design on graph paper so I could see how big each piece needed to be and then plan my flower pieces accordingly. Some of this was cut out using my AccuQuilt Go! machine (the butterfly and bee shape) and the rest was used with either traceable templates or hand sketched onto fusible web.

Katie's Quilting Corner - Blog, Podcast and More!
    Don't miss Free Pattern Friday posts!
    Pinterest

Re: "The Modern Garden" Quilt

Katie, this is soooo impressive! I am always amazed at what you make. Your work is just fantastic. I think you'll have to tell us what the ugly fabrics were, cause I certainly can't find them!
    When life throws you scraps, make a quilt! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

This is beautiful!! I have just started doing little bits of applique but this is wonderful....Now tell me which one was the ugly fabric??!!
      Alana
      To live a creative life we must lose our fear of being wrong.
      alanashideaway.blogspot.com
      https://www.facebook.com/quiltsbyAlana

Comment

This is beautiful!
        my blog: http://craft-e-place.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Lovely, Katie. Love the bright colors against that stark white background. If that's free-motion quilting, you sure do have that technique mastered.
          Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Originally posted by quilter.martha View Post
            Katie, this is soooo impressive! I am always amazed at what you make. Your work is just fantastic. I think you'll have to tell us what the ugly fabrics were, cause I certainly can't find them!
            Thanks! Take a guess at what the ugly fabrics were....

Originally posted by Alana View Post
            This is beautiful!! I have just started doing little bits of applique but this is wonderful....Now tell me which one was the ugly fabric??!!
            See if you can figure it out! I'll tell everyone once I get some guesses.

Originally posted by rebeccas-sewing View Post
            Lovely, Katie. Love the bright colors against that stark white background. If that's free-motion quilting, you sure do have that technique mastered.
            Thanks! I did the whole thing in free motion and didn't use any templates this time. I've had a good deal of practice and that is all it takes!
            Pinterest

Comment

wow that is beautiful
              Patrice

Comment

That is wonderful! You are an amazing artist. I am so impressed with your skills

My guesses for the ugly fabric are the basket fabric and the leaf fabric. They certainly don't look ugly anymore!
                Mary :icon_hi:

Love is the thread that mends worn hearts.

Comment

Hmmmm......I'm really not all that sure....I'll guess at the green patterned fabric but only because it is the one used the most.....

Like MareBear says....It isn't ugly anymore.
                  Alana
                  To live a creative life we must lose our fear of being wrong.
                  alanashideaway.blogspot.com
                  https://www.facebook.com/quiltsbyAlana

Comment

The only word that comes to my mind is AWESOME!!! Ugly Fabric where? I don't see any ugly fabric in this quilt! All I can say is your work is beautiful!!
                    http://renewingmrssewsew.blogspot.com
                    Until next time hugs and best stitches to you all,
                    Michelle

Comment

Originally posted by Marebear View Post
                      That is wonderful! You are an amazing artist. I am so impressed with your skills

My guesses for the ugly fabric are the basket fabric and the leaf fabric. They certainly don't look ugly anymore!
                      Yep! The mottled leaves with the browns and tans in it is one of the fabrics I had to use. The other was the basket. We were only provided a 6" square of each fabric and we had to use a majority of it in the top. Originally I planned to use the basket fabric as a "bee hive" but changed my design later on.
                      Pinterest

Comment

I love it, and I'm having a hard time believing there is ugly fabric in there. Great job!
                        :icon_wave: Sunny

Blog: www.threesmallfryprimitives.blogspot.com

Facebook: Threesmallfry Primitives

Comment

OH HOW BEAUTIFUL!!!
                          TODAY IS A GOOD DAY...TO HAVE A GOOD DAY...Genny

Comment

Great use of what was once ugly fabric. No more, though! Lovely, Katherine.

Comment

Hi Katie...I'm at the end of the line but I wanted to tell you your quilt is gorgeous! You keep getting better and better all the time! I especially love your machine quilting and the gorgeous blue butterfly! I don't see any ugly fabric...if it was there you must have used your magic wand! Hugs, Barb
                              sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Working...
                              X